Question

Digest: User enrolled in a course email notification struggles

• 2 December 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi,

I’m struggling with the “User enrolled in a course” email notifications. To set the scene enrollments are done by Power Users. I didn’t realize enrollments created by Power User do NOT trigger the “User enrolled in a course” notifications. I’ll enter an Idea for this as it doesn’t make sense for a Power Users to be able to enroll users, but emails can’t be sent.

I’m now looking at using the “Digest: User enrolled in a course” email notification where the trigger doesn’t appear to be controlled by the role type of the enroller, but by time. I want to use the “Every Hour” timeframe. In doing so however, I can’t get the email to trigger. I have a feeling it’s a timing thing.

Can someone clarify what “Every Hour” means?  Is it the top of each hour?  Is it every hour in relation to creating or editing the notification? 

Are these notifications also not triggered by Power User enrollments?

Thanks!

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

So only superadmin enrollments trigger the notification?

I have the “user enrolled in a learning plan” notification set up for one of my 600 branches; I thought it would send emails when that branch’s admin - a power user - enrolls users in learning plans. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi,

I’m struggling with the “User enrolled in a course” email notifications. To set the scene enrollments are done by Power Users. I didn’t realize enrollments created by Power User do NOT trigger the “User enrolled in a course” notifications. I’ll enter an Idea for this as it doesn’t make sense for a Power Users to be able to enroll users, but emails can’t be sent.

I’m now looking at using the “Digest: User enrolled in a course” email notification where the trigger doesn’t appear to be controlled by the role type of the enroller, but by time. I want to use the “Every Hour” timeframe. In doing so however, I can’t get the email to trigger. I have a feeling it’s a timing thing.

Can someone clarify what “Every Hour” means?  Is it the top of each hour?  Is it every hour in relation to creating or editing the notification? 

Are these notifications also not triggered by Power User enrollments?

Thanks!

Hey! I can confirm every hour means at the top of every hour. I know the email goes out if it’s triggered by a superadmin, so I would think that a power user assignment would also trigger. I will say we did have some issues initially with our notifications internally because it was coming from an @mirakl.com email address but from outside of our firewall. You may want to test with a fake user with your personal email to see if that receives it. 

Userlevel 1

Oh really?  If that’s the case, that’s significant worry.  All our instructors are technically Power Users with permissions.  This would be helpful to know if this has been tested and confirmed. 

Thanks!

@niccole.liriano @Andy.Carrillo @crystal.martin @Preeta 

Userlevel 2
Badge

@lrodman I’m not sure about learning plans. Docebo’s article doesn’t specifically mention the enroller type for that notification:

For the “User Enrolled In A Course” it specifies Superadmin or an instructor (fyi @eefields).  Docebo Support confirmed and recommended I open an Idea.  I’m still testing but have been unsuccessful so far.

@angel.maenza thanks for confirming top of the hour.  Do you know if there is a window where you could miss it?  If you do would it get picked up in the next hour run?  If you make a batch of assignments and the background run overlaps the top of the hour could the user receive two Digest emails?

I am successfully receiving the “Digest: Learner Has Yet To Complete A Course” as well as the “Learner Completed A Course” email notifications for the same users and courses.  It’s just the enrollment emails I’m not getting.  I do receive the non-Digest enrollment email if triggered by a SuperAdmin account.  

I’m testing the “Digest: User enrolled in a course” email notification when triggered by a SuperAdmin and by a Power User earlier in the hour to see if that helps. I’ll see if I receive any of them.  Quadrupole checking my configuration as well to ensure I’m just not missing something there. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

After further testing the “Digest: User enrolled in a course” is now triggering as expected with Power User enrollments. I believe the newly created email notification may not have been fully propagated in Docebo yet. I read something about the system monitors checklists for updates every three hours. I had created the email and started testing in about 30 minutes. The next day emails are getting sent successfully at the top of each hour! 😀

I did submit the following IDEA for Power User enrollments to trigger the “User Enrolled In A Course” notification.

Userlevel 1

@dave.cerrone I just went in and upvoted your idea.  This is the first time I have seen an LMS with this type of restriction around a course enrollment email. :(

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Everyone

I am new to this LMS (been using it for a few weeks).

We a Power User who administers specific Health & Safety related e-learning courses and today he has enrolled lots of people on a course today but notifications haven’t gone out as as the enroller is a Power User.

I can see that some of you have overcome this enrollment notification issue by using Digest: User enrolled in a course.

I have read through the guide and from what I can gather I can set the Digest notifications to be sent out every time a user is enrolled on a course (presumably e-learning and ILT) at a timescale of my choosing.  So my questions are:

Does this mean that you are using the Digest: User enrolled in a course instead of User enrolled in a course and User enrolled in ILT session?

Is it possible to use both types of notifications e.g. use Digest just for the e-learning courses our Health & Safety Power User administers?

If I set up a Digest: User enrolled in a course notification with a time for later on today, will a notification then go out for the e-learning we enrolled everyone on earlier today?

Will notifications also go out for previous Health & Safety e-learning that people have been enrolled on but not started yet started/completed?

Can I then change the notification timeframe so that future notifications go out at a different rate?

Many thanks