Oh My! The ILT's have prerequisite courses due before training

• 16 March 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi Everyone,

I have several ILT’s which allow Self enrollment and have a course as it’s prework.  When they self-enroll in the ILT, is there a way to have the LMS automatically enroll them in the prerequisite course, that has a due date? Or when the person self-enrolls, I would need to enroll them in the course? Thank you for your input and time.

7 replies

Userlevel 4

We assign most of our training via Learning Plans. We set the pre-requisites in the Learning Plan. Once the user completes the pre-requisite they are then presented with sessions in which they can enroll.

Userlevel 4

Put both the ILT and prework elearning into a learning plan, and set the elearning as a prerequisite in the learning plan settings.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The learning plan idea is really good, because you can lock the ILT from being accessed until they complete the pre-work. 

If you don’t want to use a learning plan, you can use a group with automatic user assignment based on course enrollment status and then use an enrollment rule to automatically enroll the user into the pre-req course. 

Create a group with the condition that if someone is enrolled into the ILT they are automatically added to the group.  Then you can create an enrollment rule for that group, so that when someone is assigned to the group, they are automatically enrolled into the pre-req course. 

Userlevel 2

Hi!

I have used both approaches mentioned above. We did experience a bit a of a lag when using the group / enrollment rule approach. It required the user to refresh their screen to view the newly assigned course.  As with everything just make sure you test! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi, 

We use a combination of the approaches above. We have the ILT course in a learning plan, then have a group set up for everyone in the ILT course, with an enrollment rule to enroll everyone in that group into the learning plan. This ensures that if someone gets added to the ILT manually they also get added to the prerequisites and can’t access the ILT until they have completed those. 

Have any of you ran into the situation where a user can still enroll in the ILT through the calendar widget and bypass the prerequisits? We have our courses set in Learning plans. Aside from removing the widget, which shows our company all of our upcoming classes, we have not found an alternate solution. 

Userlevel 2

In our internal learning programs, we want our learners to complete pre-work before joining a live session. It was essential for us to have a reminder around one week before the live session to complete the pre-work. We decided to set a notification that would send a reminder one week before the ILT event starts with the instruction to complete pre-work and with the link to the course. Since we are new to the platform, we are adding a short video instruction on where to access the pre-work.