Using channels to deliver learning bites using the app, and with notifications

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’m looking to create a delivery of learning bites on a regular basis. I’m considering channels, for  the ease of posting rather than having to create “courses”. I’m looking to push the learning bites weekly, to be viewed using the app. We want to be able to notify the user that there is learning content to see. And would like to be able to track it. 

Has anyone done delivery of learning bites using Docebo, any suggestions are welcomed.

18 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

We use channels almost exclusively for ‘tutorial’ type videos. We have hundreds of videos and the reason we used channels was because we didn’t want the learner to have to click multiple times (e.g., enroll, start learning, etc) just to watch a 1 or 2 minute tutorial video…

We’ve gotten away from using it for most things due to the lack of tracking/reporting. While you can get the number of views for each, you won’t know who, when, etc. It’s quite limited. Many years ago I attended a training conference session focused on reporting and the mantra was, “If you aren’t tracking and reporting on your training then you may as well not do it.” I agree with that. If we can’t show who, which branch, when, etc. then it’s difficult to prove the value of channel assets. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @adv-docebo we use this for just this purpose as well...there are a few notifications related to channel content but most are about notifying admins that content has been added, needs review, etc.

You may need to look at pushing out an “invitation to watch” when you add new content to let those subscribed to the channel that something new has been added.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @lrnlab 

I’m looking to promote this as an app tool, have you tried pushing notification through the app?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @mark 

Totally agree, if there is no tracking is a hard sell. I thought that since the student gets tracking of there contributions there would be at leas tracking of the clicks by users. Not good ☹️

Thanks it is helpful.

Userlevel 4
Badge

We also use channels for this purpose and for holding general support docs, FAQ etc. The “Viewer - Channel Assets” report does allow you to see who has viewed what asset in which channel, when (first and last view), how many times, average review, etc. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @lrnlab 

I’m looking to promote this as an app tool, have you tried pushing notification through the app?

I have used the “invite to watch” and it works well.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@lrnlab, I’m not familiar with “invite to watch”. Is that a feature of docebo or a third party feature. Can you point me in a direction to do some research?  This is very helpful thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Richard.Harknett  that is great news! thanks for sharing it, it seems like we are in the right direction.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@lrnlab, I’m not familiar with “invite to watch”. Is that a feature of docebo or a third party feature. Can you point me in a direction to do some research?  This is very helpful thanks!

this is a feature that comes with each asset...see icon below...you click and from there you can invite others to view this asset.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

forgot to add, you will also need to configure the email (and/or on-screen notification) notification that is being sent under the Notifications app.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@lrnlab Thanks! This has been really helpful!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

glad to assist.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I love the best practices for channels being shared in this thread! We use Channels in DU similarly to the way that @mark and @lrnlab both described, mostly for tutorial-style videos. 

We recently started duplicating all of the how-to videos that exist in our courses as standalone assets in How-To video channels in DU. Here’s an example of our How-to Videos channel for Docebo Learn. Adding these videos as assets in addition to videos within our courses provides a few benefits to us:

• Learners can find content via search more easily
  • Learners can share content with other learners more easily
  • Learners can access content more quickly without having to enroll into courses
  • It’s easier for us as admins to manage a growing library of videos

We use Wistia to host all of the videos on our site, which adds welcome functionality to our videos like:

• Searchable closed captioning
  • Chapter markers
  • Annotation links
  • Gated turnstiles at beginning of video (if desired)
  • End of video CTAs

Most importantly, hosting all of our videos in a single platform like Wistia allows us to track view information about those videos across every channel where they live. In addition to the Viewer - Channel Assets report@Richard.Harknett mentioned, we’re able to view all of the stats about our videos in Wistia, including average engagement, total plays, play rate, heat maps of views, and where users are viewing the videos. 

Video trend analytics for videos housed in Wistia
Analytics & heat map for single video in Wistia

Userlevel 2

@Adam Ballhaussen what widget are you using to get this great “Not Started/In Progress Tab?”  I would like replicate it for one our pages. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@Adam Ballhaussen what widget are you using to get this great “Not Started/In Progress Tab?”  I would like replicate it for one our pages. 

@jordandb that’s the trusty Task List widget, which just received a great update in the July 2023 release! There’s now an option to add a tab for Certifications to Renew. I highlight this at 26:40 of the July 2023 Release Readiness Webinar recording if you’re interested in seeing it in action.

The Task List Widget has a huge range of potential applications. Not only for learners, but also for Power Users and Superadmins.

Userlevel 2

@jordandb that’s the trusty Task List widget, which just received a great update in the July 2023 release! There’s now an option to add a tab for Certifications to Renew. I highlight this at 26:40 of the July 2023 Release Readiness Webinar recording if you’re interested in seeing it in action.

The Task List Widget has a huge range of potential applications. Not only for learners, but also for Power Users and Superadmins.

Thanks @Adam Ballhaussen I found it and it looks like a great option. My instance of Docebo is under the umbrella Ceridian Dayforce though, so I’ll have to wait and see what happens with the new Certifications for Renew tab. 

We recently started duplicating all of the how-to videos that exist in our courses as standalone assets in How-To video channels in DU. Here’s an example of our How-to Videos channel for Docebo Learn. Adding these videos as assets in addition to videos within our courses provides a few benefits to us:

• Learners can find content via search more easily
  • Learners can share content with other learners more easily
  • Learners can access content more quickly without having to enroll into courses
  • It’s easier for us as admins to manage a growing library of videos

Hi @Adam Ballhaussen, is this only achievable with Discover, Coach and Share? I’m assuming so, since I only have the option to add full courses to our channels.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@acarrier yes that’s correct, Assets in Channels are only available via Discover, Coach and Share