Integrating Docebo with Zendesk

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hello all. Looking to start a conversation with those of you integrating Docebo with Zendesk. We have done so at my org with some success but question the viability of it for our use case going forward. Would love to hear from others about what they are doing. So let me start by telling you a little about our setup and what we see as some issues for us.

We use Zendesk for 2 purposes:

1. We have a resource bank of hundreds of games and activities for teachers to use with kids along with loads of quick tip sheets and other “document-like” resources. These are housed in the Zendesk Guide (KB) functionality. We “integrate” this by adding a “Resource Center” link on the users' menus. We also have a widget on the user’s pages to take then to the Resource Center. 
  2. We use the little help widget so when the user logs in to our lms they get a little help button that they can click to a) search the resource center and b) ask for help (this creates a support case in Zendesk which then is routed to our team)

So all this sounds pretty good, right? We think so too but here are our limitations. Maybe some of you have figured out workarounds or fixes. As an aside I am only a little bit techy and do not know how to build APIs and what not so I might be limited in what I can do.  

Problem 1: Obviously the Docebo Search will not search into the Resource Center. So if the user is looking for “games that teach self awareness” or “helping kids manage their emotions” they will only get course content and channel content -- not anything related to that in the Resource Center where they would find lots of good stuff. They have to search in the platform, then know to launch the resource center (or the widget) and search there too. So the question is really do we scrap the whole Resource Center and put all the content into channels in Docebo. I like the organization Zendesk provides. And, take note that Docebo has just ported their knowledge base over to Zendesk so this is a viable use case. I just don’t like the search limitation. Not sure if there is any way to overcome this?

Problem 2: Right now every user in the platform can access all the content in Zendesk but looking ahead we need to limit the content that a particular user sees to the branch they belong to in Docebo. So somehow I’d like to be able to map branches or groups to certain access levels in Zendesk (which does support varying access levels). This might be a tall order. Not sure if API could handle. 

Problem 3 is a Zendesk only problem. A user cannot get a nice print out of an article. Our teachers need to be able to print an article (game/activity) to take to the classroom. There are some print button apps in the Zendesk marketplace but I’ve never been able to get them to work. There might be some code you can add to Zendesk custom theme but I don’t know how. If anyone using Zendesk has solved this problem, that would be huge!

Anyway, I know that’s a lot but maybe it helps someone looking to integrate and/or others can provide more insights in benefits/challenges using Zendesk with Docebo. 

14 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

We haven’t yet integrated Docebo yet with Zendesk, but I shall report back if we come up with any suggestions or solutions to issues.  

One issue I have seen that drives me batty is the fact that Zendesk doesn’t support iframes.  What I’d love is that in the Read Me section of an online module, our learner opens up a pretty knowledge base article.  

One day I shall be able to do more than ask questions . . . 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

We haven’t yet integrated Docebo yet with Zendesk, but I shall report back if we come up with any suggestions or solutions to issues.  

One issue I have seen that drives me batty is the fact that Zendesk doesn’t support iframes.  What I’d love is that in the Read Me section of an online module, our learner opens up a pretty knowledge base article.  

One day I shall be able to do more than ask questions . . . 

@cimberli Yes, the inability to use iframe was a bummer for us too. We wanted to do the same with embedding articles. Instead, I link to the articles but it’s not as “elegant”.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hi Cindy,

I’ve added the Zendesk integration via a “Help” button in the bottom right hand corner of the page for all users that when clicked heads off to submit a helpdesk ticket in Zendesk, and I’ve added a page in the main menu that takes users to a custom Docebo page with buttons (as pictured below).

I did this so people stay in my eco-system within Docebo before they go off into Zendesk pages. It would be handy to know how often people go to these pages to see if they are useful, but some user feedback has been more positive about this setup than simply heading off into Zendesk.

In the footer at the bottom of the website I also added a link into the Helpdesk so that users registering and at the login page have a way of finding some help too.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@jckemv Thanks so much for sharing. Very interesting. So one question- When the learner clicks on KB Articles does it take them to your Zendesk home page or does it take them to a specifically curated page for that content? Would you mind sharing the page when the user clicks one of those “KB Articles” button? We are basically “dumping” the user in Zendesk (what we call our Resource Center) and allowing them to search and explore but I think that is overwhelming and disorienting. We do have some links direct to Zendesk articles in various places like courses and channels but I really do like your way of giving them a Docebo page first with thumbnails to specific pages in Zendesk with articles already curated for them. Thanks again, this is definitely some food for thought. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

In the footer at the bottom of the website I also added a link into the Helpdesk so that users registering and at the login page have a way of finding some help too.

@jckemv I love this idea to add a Help Desk & FAQs link in the footer! That’s brilliant 👏

Userlevel 3
Badge

@jckemv @Cindy McElhinney thanks so much for sharing. are your sites internal or external client facing?  

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@jckemv Thanks so much for sharing. Very interesting. So one question- When the learner clicks on KB Articles does it take them to your Zendesk home page or does it take them to a specifically curated page for that content? Would you mind sharing the page when the user clicks one of those “KB Articles” button? We are basically “dumping” the user in Zendesk (what we call our Resource Center) and allowing them to search and explore but I think that is overwhelming and disorienting. We do have some links direct to Zendesk articles in various places like courses and channels but I really do like your way of giving them a Docebo page first with thumbnails to specific pages in Zendesk with articles already curated for them. Thanks again, this is definitely some food for thought. 

Yeah straight out to Zendesk. I’m not duplicating environments and so far end users have been fine. As long as it opens a new tab people in my experience have been okay with it.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@jckemv @Cindy McElhinney thanks so much for sharing. are your sites internal or external client facing?  

external to emergency management partner agencies and internal people access it fine also via the internet.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

external to emergency management partner agencies and internal people access it fine also via the internet.

Our site is external-facing also. And as @jckemv wrote, when the user accesses our “Resource Center” which is Zendesk, it opens in another tab and presents them with our Zendesk Guide home page. This basically works. We have our Zendesk pages public-facing so our users do not have to also log in to Zendesk. Ultimately though we would like to have various levels of access to content in Zendesk and to accomplish that we would have to have users in Docebo also have a username and password in Zendesk. I am sure that is possible but I don’t know how having to log in twice would be perceived by users. I think it would confuse them. Ideally, we would like a more streamlined solution. 

Userlevel 4

@jckemv love the footer! Haven’t seen anyone do that before and our graphics person has been asking why we can’t link in the footer like a webpage, boom, problem solved. Never thought to use that customization option for some reason.

Hi Cindy,

I’ve added the Zendesk integration via a “Help” button in the bottom right hand corner of the page for all users that when clicked heads off to submit a helpdesk ticket in Zendesk, and I’ve added a page in the main menu that takes users to a custom Docebo page with buttons (as pictured below).

I did this so people stay in my eco-system within Docebo before they go off into Zendesk pages. It would be handy to know how often people go to these pages to see if they are useful, but some user feedback has been more positive about this setup than simply heading off into Zendesk.

Hi Jckemv,

I need to remove the help button on my platform because everywhere I move it to, it’s sitting on an action item. I want to add a page in the main menu that takes users to a custom Docebo page with a helpdesk button or put a link at the bottom. I understand I need a URL for the page creation and Zendesk doesn’t provide any.  Please tell me how you were able to create your helpdesk button and put a link at the bottom on the page?

Hi @jckemv

I need to remove the help button on my platform because everywhere I move it to, it’s sitting on an action item. I want to add a page in the main menu that takes users to a custom Docebo page with a helpdesk button or put a link at the bottom, just like you did. I understand I need a URL for the page creation and Zendesk doesn’t provide any.  Please tell me how you were able to create your helpdesk button (mainly where did you get the link from) and how did you put a link at the bottom on the page?

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hi @jckemv

I need to remove the help button on my platform because everywhere I move it to, it’s sitting on an action item. I want to add a page in the main menu that takes users to a custom Docebo page with a helpdesk button or put a link at the bottom, just like you did. I understand I need a URL for the page creation and Zendesk doesn’t provide any.  Please tell me how you were able to create your helpdesk button (mainly where did you get the link from) and how did you put a link at the bottom on the page?

I’ve used “Pages” in Docebo Learn to create a page with Widgets using the Custom Content widget. In there it has a button and a background image/colour. I then added a URL to the front page of my Zendesk user submit ticket area. I made the widget button open the URL in a new window. So I didn’t end up using the Zendesk integrated custom button floating in a corner for the reasons stated above, but a different approach.

Hi @jckemv

I’ve used “Pages” in Docebo Learn to create a page with Widgets using the Custom Content widget. In there it has a button and a background image/colour. I then added a URL to the front page of my Zendesk user submit ticket area. I made the widget button open the URL in a new window. So I didn’t end up using the Zendesk integrated custom button floating in a corner for the reasons stated above, but a different approach.

Thank you @jckemv that’s just what I needed!!