Question

SCORM courses and using Safari

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi,

We are getting an increasing number of issues when learners are using Safari web browser and when they complete a SCORM course nothing has saved and it is like they have never been in the course.  On their My Activity is shows they have spent time on the course.  Just wonderingf if anyone else is experience this issue and how you are tackling it?

Many  thanks

Ant

20 replies

Userlevel 3

Hi Ant,

This is also an issue we’ve encountered recently.  Right now we’ve been emphasizing that users use Chrome (the issue doesn’t seem to occur with that browser at the moment), but I would also be very interested in seeing how others are tackling this. 

Cheers,

Andree-Anne

Hi,

We are currently encountering the same issue using both Chrome and Edge.  Reports generated in our course content provider’s platform show users are completing their courses but the course completions are not passing back to Docebo. 

Best wishes!

LeMona

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Check they have cookies enabled. I have a theory it has something to do with that.

Good Luck

Gary

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

We see this as well across different browsers.

It’s difficult to investigate, but we’re suspecting that the problem is related to the fact, that SCORM files are served in iframes from a different domain (dcbstatic.com), and modern browsers tend to introduce more and more protections limiting cross-domain communications. We’ve also seen some users who are using company-provided computers with very restrictive firewall setting to experience such issues.

We’re advising users visiting our site to disable all tracking protection in their browsers, as well as add our portal and the dcbstatic.com domain to the whitelist in the firewall on their computer and in any ad-blocking plugins they may have installed in their browsers (like AdBlock, uMatrix, Ghostery, etc.).

As a workaround, we started adding a “Mark this course as completed” button on the last screen of the lesson, which is invoking a SCORM JavaScript method to mark the course as completed. Not perfect form the user experience point of view, but it’s helping in most (unfortunately not all) cases.

We also have enabled the Comments widget on most courses, so learners can request to have the lesson marked as completed manually.

Would be great if Docebo could investigate this and find a long-term solution for all of us.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi Ant,

We have been going through this as well. here are the main things ive gotten from the help desk about this.

• only last 2 browser updates are supported
  • cookies should be tracked, (as stated make sure ad blockers are allowing Docebo)
  • closing courseware improperly (not using the ‘X’) can also cause this in the APP
  • leaving browser open to long to cause timeout
  • and of course the most annoying strong connections.
  • the best one no IE

these are my typical culprits to this issue.

I see people coming to this post every few months but we’re currently experiencing similiar issues and it’s dramatically affecting some users. We have long course material as is so people timing out, or not having progress saved is super problematic.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

We have been experiencing this issue since we started using Docebo. We manually mark the completion for those who report this issue. I hope Docebo could investigate this and find a long-term solution for all of us.

Badge

We have been experience this issue as well with multiple courses. And it’s quite a bad experience to ask learners to retake the courses because of this. As some of the courses are longer than 30 min, have test inside etc.

And even if this a well known issue, from help desk we receive only the standard steps, wait several days and in the end we receive a sad response that there is no actual resolution or please use Google Chrome instead/ ask learner to retake the course etc.

I hope Docebo will investigate this and find a solution for this incompatibility between Safari and Docebo. Because our learners will always use multiple browsers, not only Google Chrome.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Some of our users are also reporting progress not being saved, some say they have to start from the beginning, others that some modules had to be retaken. I thought this was due to me adding just one SCORM file with the whole course containing several modules and quiz. If each module was added as a separate SCORM file then module completion might be saved more consistently. Going back and redoing courses is not really an option though but have thought about this for future courses. 

Thanks for your input, I’ll add to our FAQs that it could be a browser, cookie, or ad blocker issue, but also agree it would ne a god idea for product to look into this further or suggest a possible solution. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

any updates on this?  we are seeing safari users complaining as the scorm content looks complete but the LMS isn't registering it.

Userlevel 4

any updates on this?  we are seeing safari users complaining as the scorm content looks complete but the LMS isn't registering it.

Looking for a update on this as well. We’re getting a number of reports of completion not saving from Safari users. The vast majority of our managed mobile devices are iPhones, which means we can’t roll out Go Learn as long as this continues to be an issue. We were planning to roll Go Learn out in 2024, but it looks like we’re now going to have to push pause.

Would really appreciate an update from Docebo.

Userlevel 4

Looking for a update on this as well. We’re getting a number of reports of completion not saving from Safari users. The vast majority of our managed mobile devices are iPhones, which means we can’t roll out Go Learn as long as this continues to be an issue. We were planning to roll Go Learn out in 2024, but it looks like we’re now going to have to push pause.

Would really appreciate an update from Docebo.

Correcting my previous reply - Go Learn is not Safari. Would still be great to get an update on this though, since most of our users reporting this issue are using Safari on desktop.

Userlevel 1

We have received escalating numbers of this compliant in the last month - as in, we had no complaints - now we are receiving them weekly… any resolution???

Userlevel 2

We have the same issue also, seems to have arisen in the last 6 weeks and becoming more common, any tips and tricks would also be welcome!

Userlevel 3
Badge

Following as same issues just got reported by our clients - completion not tracked, got stuck at several slides in SCORM, quizzes shown passed at one point but not another - and these users were using Mac and Microsoft Edge/iPad and Safari. Would it be an Apple/Docebo issue or an Safari/Edge/Docebo issue? Docebo really needs to look into it and gives us a solution please!!

I have multiple users from multiple clients who are experiencing this issue with multiple courses. They are using Safari on iPads, and Docebo is not catching when they complete SCORM files.

This is causing MAJOR issues and hours of extra work.

Has anyone heard from Docebo about this? or found a resolution on how to fix it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@erinfrank810 and @teresa.mycity.org - this is a tough one. I believe it is not Docebo but Safari that is having the challenge. I would like to recommend creating a “Supported Browser” page and let your customers know upfront that Safari is only partially supported with your courseware.

By the way? I am a consumer, we generate SCORM all the time - and constantly feel the pain with advising folks to retry in Chrome. Sometimes we have courses triggering their completions when a learner comes back into the course player. Other times it is a total miss. But I believe that not all browsers are playing well today with SCORM.

My only other advise - test in SCORM Cloud. I believe your findings will be consistent if you go over to SCORM Cloud and give it a try.

Test with outputs in SCORM 2004….and good luck with this.

Happy Friday. And thanks!

@dklinger In your experience, is there a training file format that works better with multiple browser types? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@dklinger In your experience, is there a training file format that works better with multiple browser types? 

Tricky question. In my past worklife, I worked with a workforce of over 40K. The last 3 years I am at 10 times less. So leaning into the extreme variance between the two and living through the EOL of flash I come up with these broad generalized statements:

SCORM has always been the try and true tested approach for multiple browsers even with its gotchas in my shop(s). We have always leaned into SCORM 2004 and the later versions in terms of SCORM output. It tends to be more verbose with the detail it sends along via CMI interactions.

We always recommended working on workstations while a person was at work and gave input to our IT folk about browser / browser compatibility (if a person was at home - we considered it the wild west and tried but did not kill ourselves to assist) to minimize concerns with stability - and we often tested on work builds.

And I do think more anecdotally SCORM 1.2 has been a more stable approach even with Safari. 

Beyond that - xAPI was the great promise in terms of format. But it does not bring along verbose details that SCORM 2004 does out of the box (with Docebo). I say that it was the great promise because it supports intermittent communications better with the platform the content is on much better than SCORM can (making mobile devices that much more viable for learning on), but without deeper insights and a deeper reporting implementation of the LRS inherit with Docebo? My understanding is you won’t get the metrics beyond completion information for an xAPI course.

@dklinger Thank you! That is very helpful.

Previously, I worked with users who were more office, or home office, based. So, SCORM has been my go-to. However, now, I’m working with a group of users (~2K) who are spread across the US and tend to work from mobile devices, as they travel and visit accounts. Didn’t anticipate how much of a difference this would make, and now I’m exploring if a shift to xAPI would be better for their courses.