AICC course from URL

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi there,

We have been given access to some AICC courses with the caveat that they must remain hosted on the providers site. Some LMS’s (Moodle for example) allow you to add AICC URLs directly as a learning type but Docebo does not. 

Not to be deterred, I ploughed on and discovered that I could publish as AICC with a URL via Articulate storyline and low and behold it worked! I am able to launch the material on the remote site. 

However, I get an error. The error relates to the lesson status communication between the two systems, specifically cmi.core.lesson_status. The admin of the provider site has informed me that the following are allowed: incomplete, failed, complete passed and not started.

She also informed me that ‘sometimes it sends null which isn’t an allowable response. 

I can’t find what status is used by Docebo but I’m guessing it is null.

I’m frustrated to be so close. I’m just putting it out there in case anyone has any experience with this or ideas of what I might try? I’m looking at you @dklinger, @gstager :-) 

I did message support but they were little help telling me that it wasn’t possible at all and suggesting I register an idea. 

Thank you!

Aimee 

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

OK - let me make sure that I understand.

You have an AICC module hosted by a third party.

You are publishing an Articulate module that basically embeds the above AICC module within

You are uploading the Articulate module to Docebo.

Completion status is ate up like a soup sandwich.

Did I catch all that right?

----

My understanding is that the learning module is what initially sets the cmi.core.lesson_status value to be sent to the LMS

Perhaps there is a miscommunication between Articulate and the hosted AICC attempts to set the value. I am wondering if you need to change up some of the completion criteria in Articulate so that they match up properly. That would mean a bit of trial and error, I’m afraid.

For what it is worth - I found this document for AICC standards so if you want some good bedtime reading… see attached

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

As a side note…

Is this something that you could iFrame into Docebo?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

As a side note…

The problem with iframing is you typically lose the status communication connection which I would assume is wanted, if not, then totally doable. 

Random thought (been a while since using AICC though), since in articulate already, is there maybe a path forward with having articulate intercept the Docebo value in a variable and convert to the acceptable one for the URL package?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

HI @aswartz your provider should still be able to provide your with an AICC package you can load into the LMS. If memory serves, SkillSoft content works like this. They allow you download the AICC packages but when the user launches the course from Docebo, the session is actually open on SkillSoft (so they also need an account there).

Userlevel 5
Badge

As a side note…

Unfortunately not - I tried it and it works as in it displays but I get the same error messages popping up. 🙄

Userlevel 5
Badge

As a side note…

The problem with iframing is you typically lose the status communication connection which I would assume is wanted, if not, then totally doable. 

Random thought (been a while since using AICC though), since in articulate already, is there maybe a path forward with having articulate intercept the Docebo value in a variable and convert to the acceptable one for the URL package?

That sounds like what I would need to do but I have no idea how to do that. I will read the attachment shared above and see if I can figure it out. Do you know how I can find out what values Docebo is using?

Userlevel 5
Badge

HI @aswartz your provider should still be able to provide your with an AICC package you can load into the LMS. If memory serves, SkillSoft content works like this. They allow you download the AICC packages but when the user launches the course from Docebo, the session is actually open on SkillSoft (so they also need an account there).

Thank you but that’s not the problem. They can provide me the package (with link) or I can package it myself with the links they provide. Both of those things work. What’s not working is the communication between Docebo and their LMS to track progress (ie lesson status).

Best,

Aimee

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

HI @aswartz your provider should still be able to provide your with an AICC package you can load into the LMS. If memory serves, SkillSoft content works like this. They allow you download the AICC packages but when the user launches the course from Docebo, the session is actually open on SkillSoft (so they also need an account there).

Thank you but that’s not the problem. They can provide me the package (with link) or I can package it myself with the links they provide. Both of those things work. What’s not working is the communication between Docebo and their LMS to track progress (ie lesson status).

Best,

Aimee

If they provide the package, are you able to edit it? Can you modify to accept the docebo input?

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@aswartz - a question - because you are connecting to an external server with AICC….is the system established as a safe domain/url?

Packaging AICC inside of SCORM I believe this yields XSS (cross-server side) issues.

I would lean towards uploading an AICC package and not attempting to package inside of a SCORM wrapper.

Userlevel 5
Badge

@aswartz- a question - because you are connecting to an external server with AICC….is the system established as a safe domain/url?

Packaging AICC inside of SCORM I believe this yields XSS (cross-server side) issues.

I would lean towards uploading an AICC package and not attempting to package inside of a SCORM wrapper.

Hi thanks dklinger,

Yes our Docebo domain has been marked safe on their end and I have added their domain as safe on the iFrame safe list (not sure if that was necessary). 

I’m not sure if I am packaging it inside a SCORM or not. In Articulate Storyline publish settings you can choose to Report to an LMS as SCORM 1.2, SCORM 2004, AICC, xAPI, or cmi5. 

I have chosen AICC and then under the Reporting and Tracking I have the option to refer to a URL. 

The ‘Report status to LMS as:’ seems to be where it goes wrong. I have tried Completed/Incomplete and Passed/Incomplete but both produce those errors. Do you think I can alter the files that are produced by Articulate in this package to see the cmi.core.lesson_status?

Do you know what file this is? @Bfarkas this seems to be what you were suggesting as well. I will start opening files and see how far I get. :-/

Thanks everyone!

Aimee

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I scrolled past this in the menu this morning and thought of you.

I wondered if you were using this and if you made any progress?

It is under Advanced Settings » Advanced

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@aswartz- a question - because you are connecting to an external server with AICC….is the system established as a safe domain/url?

Hi thanks dklinger,

Yes our Docebo domain has been marked safe on their end and I have added their domain as safe on the iFrame safe list (not sure if that was necessary). 

I’m not sure if I am packaging it inside a SCORM or not. In Articulate Storyline publish settings you can choose to Report to an LMS as SCORM 1.2, SCORM 2004, AICC, xAPI, or cmi5. 

I have chosen AICC and then under the Reporting and Tracking I have the option to refer to a URL. 

The ‘Report status to LMS as:’ seems to be where it goes wrong. I have tried Completed/Incomplete and Passed/Incomplete but both produce those errors. Do you think I can alter the files that are produced by Articulate in this package to see the cmi.core.lesson_status?

Do you know what file this is? @Bfarkas this seems to be what you were suggesting as well. I will start opening files and see how far I get. :-/

Thanks everyone!

Aimee

Yeah that was what I was thinking, and it can be in any number of places depending on the setup of the package and would be the original package, not the new wrapper you are putting around it. I get a bit worried there's a double communication issue that route, where by the scorm doesn’t understand the original and then even if it did is not passing to the LMS correctly. Is there anyway to share the original output safely to take a look?

Userlevel 5
Badge

Thanks everyone for your super helpful advise. I’ve kind of hit a brick wall so stepped away for a bit but may check out that debug option to see if that sheds any clues so thanks @gstager for pointing that out. I hadn’t noticed it.

I suspect the issue is on the package that is sitting on the external server which I can’t control so probably won’t be able to solve it.

I did find something interesting that I thought might work but it didn’t. In the package I published from storyline there was a file called scromdriver.js which referenced ‘cmi.core.lesson_status’ which is what the error I’m getting relates to. 

My contact at the external provider had informed me that the lesson status’ available on their end were incomplete, failed, complete passed and not started.

In the javascript file there was reference to a lesson status of SCORM_BROWSED. Bingo! I thought. And changed those to SCORM_Incomplete, repackaged and tried again. BUT… I still get the error. :-(

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Well, seems like we’ve hit a wall of remote support. Need to find someone with access to all the files who understands the communication going on between each I think 

Userlevel 5
Badge

Just a quick update on this. The AICC provider is using AICC interoperability is 4.1 and Docebo used 4.0. Apparently 4.1 is mainly different in communication so I’m pretty sure this is the problem. I can’t get anyone at Docebo to help or any indication if they will update to 4.1. This is a pretty huge deal for any healthcare organisation in the UK especially since there is government mandated training required in 2023 that has been created by this provider (that uses AICC 4.1). 

Userlevel 1
Badge

We have the same issue - the government mandated training required uses AICC 4.1 and Docebo uses 4.0.

It’s at the point where we are considered running a 2nd LMS with Moodle because we must deliver the government mandated training and they are not budging on their position to only issue it as AICC.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hey @heidi.walsh good news! This has been solved. The ELFH courses are now running correctly on Docebo. Are you in Healthcare? If so, come on over to our Healthcare group for all the latest. https://community.docebo.com/groups/healthcare-77

Aimee