Automatically activate notification for channel follow

Userlevel 5
Badge

I’m currently testing the new ‘Follow Channel’ feature and it’s definitely a great idea that’s poorly executed.

First off, if a user clicks to follow a channel, why is the notification set to silent by default? Why isn’t the user made aware they need to click the bell icon to activate the notification for the followed channel? This is confusing as hell.

It would be much easier if the user clicked follow and was automatically defaulted to an active notification type (e.g. digest). Or, at least signal to the user that they must also select the type of notification!

When I clicked follow the first time, I wasn’t even aware I needed to do anything extra. So I followed a channel, but not really since the notifications are muted by default. Poorly executed feature :(

21 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

The notifications are not working for us, even when the user selects the notification type. @martiniwinski Are the notifications working for your users when they select a notification type?

Userlevel 5
Badge

The digest notification doesn’t seem to be coming through. I have it set to daily for testing in the sandbox, but nothing comes despite I add content with various accounts.

The point-in-time channel notification does seem to be working. Not sure what’s going on with the Digest email.

Userlevel 2
Badge

We aren’t getting any notifications for it currently.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Have you tried loading new channel content with a different account than your own admin account? It didn’t seem to trigger when I made the upload, but when I signed in as another user and made the upload, it triggered the point in time notification.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@martiniwinski,

I have, but will try some more testing with other accounts.

Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge

I was testing the notifications this morning with a colleague. We uploaded new content and I received the point-in-time channel notifications saying someone uploaded new content. However, I didn’t get the digest email (despite being subscribed to it).

Userlevel 2
Badge

@martiniwinski, I am experiencing the opposite: Do not the real-time notifications, but do receive the digest ones. Hmmm.

Userlevel 5
Badge

😯 OK, that’s so weird. I submitted a ticket with Docebo to look into the Digest notification issue. See what they say because they looked at my settings so far and haven’t found any issues. Other notifications work fine. Thanks for posting your issue.

Userlevel 5
Badge

FYI, Docebo support was able to replicate the issue of channel notifications not coming through and they are investigating further.

profile_image_390117827540_229842.png

Jeremy Razon (Docebo Support)

Aug 17, 2022, 12:32 EDT

Hello Martin,

I have reviewed this issue and we were able to replicate it on our end. I appreciate your proactive responses and information on this issue. 

The development team has identified this issue and there is currently a task to investigate further. I will attach this ticket to the related development task so you will receive automatic updates as they are available. I will continue to manage this ticket and will also provide you with additional information as soon as I receive it.

If you have any questions or concerns in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to the L&S Team.

Best Regards,

Jeremy Razon
Technical Support Analyst
Docebo Support

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks for this update!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I don't see the notification option at all...did you have to enable something to get this working?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yes, you have to enable at least one of the following two notifications in the ‘Notifications’ section of the Admin menu: 

• Discover, Coach, & Share section:
    • New Content in Followed Channel - For an email sent each time new content is added (real-time)
    • Digest: New Content in Followed Channels (For a single notification for all new content, sent at a set interval)

Once one or both notifications are created and activated, users will see a bell icon after choosing to follow a channel. Clicking on the bell icon will give them the option to select which notifications they want to receive (or just one, if that was all that you enabled in the notifications)

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

never mind, found it...you have to activate BOTH notifications related to new content added to followed channels for this option to appear...in case anyone else was wondering.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Yes, you have to enable at least one of the following two notifications in the ‘Notifications’ section of the Admin menu: 

• Discover, Coach, & Share section:
    • New Content in Followed Channel - For an email sent each time new content is added (real-time)
    • Digest: New Content in Followed Channels (For a single notification for all new content, sent at a set interval)

Once one or both notifications are created and activated, users will see a bell icon after choosing to follow a channel. Clicking on the bell icon will give them the option to select which notifications they want to receive (or just one, if that was all that you enabled in the notifications)

didn't work with only a single notification...had the non-digest version activated and the option did not appear..once I added the digest, the option appeared. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

You shouldn’t have to activate both. I only activated the digest option, and it appears.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

OK, I had the other one activated first so will try and deactivate that one to see if I still see the option.

hmmm...now it works with either one activated...guess I was too quick for Dcoebo...lol

Thx

Userlevel 6
Badge

Hello all! Thank you @martiniwinski for reporting this issue and opening a ticket with our support team. Because this is currently being handled on a ticket, I’ll be turning this idea into a conversation. Carry on!

Userlevel 4
Badge

To piggyback on this thread - is there a way to remove the FOLLOW button altogether? Either with a setting of CSS? We don’t use notifications this way, and it’s very clunky and unhelpful in our environment. 

Userlevel 6
Badge

@captainzelda I’m not well versed in CSS, but there are plenty of people who are over in the HTML & CSS category. I’d suggest making a post there!

As fairly new adopters of Discover, Coach, & Share, we are also finding the “Follow” button functionality clunky at best. Having to basically opt in twice has put a significant barrier up for our users, who are expecting to simply start receiving notifications once they opt in (like you would for other types of social media platforms, like Twitter or Facebook). I agree that having the default set to receive notifications would be ideal!

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

It appears that no real changes have been made to these features since this was initially posted on the Community…

We just recently started using Channel widgets more, so users are now getting more opportunities to be able to “follow,” but I am running into the same issues listed here.  It is not obvious to our users (nor logical) that it defaults to silencing notifications when they first choose to Follow a channel - so most users are not aware that they need to complete both steps - select the options to Follow AND choose if they want individual or digest notifications. 

Also, I am finding that the digest notification is not working correctly.  I have it set up to display the list of “items” in the digest, but it is not processing those short codes correctly.  I have posted this as a question on the Community, but have not found a solution (or confirmation that this may be a bug) yet.