Reporting

Automation App - How to Export Platform Reports to a Given FTP/SFTP

Userlevel 3

Hi everyone, I’m Elvin Torres-Alicea from the Docebo Support team and I would like to share this informational guide on - How to export platform reports to a given FTP/SFTP.

The guide will assume that you already have knowledge of your current FTP/SFTP credentials, have the automation app installed and have your desired report created on the LMS.

Note: If you have thousands of records in the platform, this is not an ideal option. It is recommended to export reports with thousands of records manually, as the time it takes for the automated rule to trigger is directly linked to the number of records in the report.

Please see the attachment’s section below to download the document.

Automation rules knowledge base:

https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020082520-Creating-a-Rule-for-the-Automation-App#h_01FHZ4WBJ0KZNTY03ZGPSB88X4

Feedback/Questions

We’d love to hear your thoughts on this guide and if it was helpful for you. Please share any feedback and/or questions below.

How to export platform reports to a given FTP/SFTP

1. Sign in your Docebo Learn LMS via your login method of choice
  1. Navigate to the ⚙️ Admin Menu on the top right of the LMS
Navigate to Admin Menu
  1. Select the Manage option under the Automation application
Select Automation > Manage
  1. Select New Rule to create the automation rule
Select New Rule
  1. Give your Automation a Name and a Description
  2. Select Next when completed
Create a Name and Description
  1. Select Schedule Rule and determine when the rule will execute. Example: Daily at 10 AM
  2. Select Next to continue the configuration
Schedule your rule
  1. For the IF condition of the Rule, select the report type of your choice (Legacy vs New Report)
Select the Report Type
  1. Once you select the rule, select the Report you want to export and select Save Changes
Select the Report you’d like to use
  1. Once you save your rule changes, select Next to continue
Select Next
  1. For your THEN action, select the Export to CSV option
Select Export to CSV
  1. This option will auto-expand, allowing your to enter you FTP/SFTP information. Determine the Folder where you want Docebo to place the report and the Name you wish to use for the file
Select the Folder and File Name
  1. Once you complete the information, you can modify the schema of the export by selecting the Export Schema option. This will allow you to modify the row headers of the report you are exporting if you need to export the report with different column names
Define the Export Schema
  1. After defining the Export Schema, select Save Changes. Select Save Changes again for the FTP/SFTP configuration
Select Save Changes​
Select Save Changes

1. Select Next
Select Next

1. Save the automation rule using the 2 options available
    Select one of the two options to Save

1. Once the automation job has executed executed, the report selected to export should be inside the directory of choice when the job completes
View File and Folder in appropriate location

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Great write up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Nice!

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi, I can’t open or download the attachment. What’s the trick? When I click on it nothing happens. When I right click and open in a new window I see this:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

<Error>

<Code>AccessDenied</Code>

<Message>Access denied</Message>

</Error>

Thanks,

Aimee 

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi, I can’t open or download the attachment. What’s the trick? When I click on it nothing happens. When I right click and open in a new window I see this:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

<Error>

<Code>AccessDenied</Code>

<Message>Access denied</Message>

</Error>

Thanks,

Aimee 

@elvin.torres-alicea it works now! Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Did something change? What fixed it for you?

Userlevel 5
Badge

No nothing changed as far as I’m aware I just realised I didn’t receive a response so came back and clicked on it again and it downloaded. 

Thanks

Aimee

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hello @elvin.torres-alicea , is it possible to export the report and upload the file in the sharedpoint?

I created a Power BI dashboard and I atualize the dashboard data, uploading manually a report in the sharedpoint .

If it´s possible I can automate the process.

Thank you.

Manoel

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@msantos I’m trying to automate some calendar invites going out and thought that this would be ideal however we use microsoft and FTP and SFTP don’t work with microsoft. There is apparently a way to use this with Power Automate but it seems a long winded way to just get a report sent to you and uploaded somewhere.

Userlevel 5
Badge

My IT colleague worked with me to set up a report and have it sent to him (using the report scheduler). Then we went into the API area and he determined how he could access the report through the API, so that he can use it in Power BI. It’s over my head, but apparently this way we can get a daily download/backup of user information for everyone in our Docebo instance.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

My IT colleague worked with me to set up a report and have it sent to him (using the report scheduler). Then we went into the API area and he determined how he could access the report through the API, so that he can use it in Power BI. It’s over my head, but apparently this way we can get a daily download/backup of user information for everyone in our Docebo instance.

Hi @JKolodner , thank you for your advice. The problem is that the schedule report does not have a option to export in CSV with ; (semicolon) separator. So, it´s not possible to upload the report in the Power BI (In Brazil the separator csv is semicolon). The automation app has this option (Semicolon separator), but not send the report by email. 

Userlevel 5
Badge

We finally have an SFTP server and are trying to get this working.

You don’t mention it here but I assume you also need to schedule the reports to generate in order for it to trigger the automation app? 

We have done this but it’s still not working. The report isn’t getting sent to the server. 

How does the automation app get triggered? Does it matter where you have the scheduled report sent? 

Thanks for any advise you can offer.

Best,

Aimee