Best Answer

Best practices for Categories vs. Catalogs (Content Organization)

• 3 September 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

What are some different ways you all use Categories?

Previously I used them as a way to organize our courses and a way for our users to search the subject they wanted.

I recently turned our categories in to catalogs and turned off the categories. I was told a lot of users use the categories for back end use. I was just curious is some of you can show me how you use them that may also be beneficial to us.

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by alekwo 17 September 2021, 13:27

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @GingerG our categories are set-up mostly for the benefit of our users since we have them appearing with the catalogues...that said, it is quite limiting on the admin side...I posted an idea a while back to ask Docebo to make categories dynamic for users meaning that is the had no access to a course in a specific category, that category would NOT appear in their view...As it stands today, all categories display to users and they have to click on the category to see whether there is any content available not the best experience. Perhaps we can solicit more ideas on how we can grow/expand this area of course management for both admins and users.

Userlevel 4

Not only that from an admin side of things you cannot get a list of courses that are linked to a category. Only the training material in the central repository that is associated to the category.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @GingerG, we don’t use course categories for learners.

The main reason is that learners are presented with a tree containing all created categories, even if there is no learning available for them in some of the categories. And as we have separate learning for different groups (customers, partners, employees) it was creating some confusion.

For learners we prefer a mixture of custom pages and catalogs, that is providing us with a very intuitive navigation.

We still use course categories for two purposes:

• managing what our Power Users can edit - we assign specific categories to course editors from various internal groups (product training, HR, sales enablement, security, etc.) and let them only edit courses within their assigned categories.
  • reporting - we have training assets related to our eight products and many audiences (users, administrators, services) - using categories we can easily group data in our reports per category - e.g. number of courses completed for each product/audience.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Thank you, @gcrawford88 and @alekwo for your responses! @alekwo Thank you for sharing how you use the categories...it helps so much! I will definitely be implementing categories for Power Users and Reporting moving forward.