Best Answer

Delay course material release / block course completion

• 24 June 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hello hivemind,

I’m looking for your tips, tricks and experiences.

We want to release some modules that belong to the same course over several weeks. We don’t want to create each module as a course and put them into a Learning Plan unless we can’t find another solution as it really is a course not a collection of courses.

In other LMS systems I’ve worked with it is possible to add course material to a course but keep it locked until a certain date. This is visible to the student and they can see that there is a new module and what the date it will be shared is. It also keeps them from being able to complete the course. I don’t see this option in Docebo. You can hide it and you can set a date range that it will be available but if it’s not available yet it won’t be viewable to the end user and more importantly it won’t block course completion. 

Is there anyway we can control course completion so that people who complete the first module don’t complete the course because there will be another module added in a couple of weeks? 

Does anyone have any experience with this or ideas of how I can do this within a course?

Many thanks,

Aimee 

icon

Best answer by lrnlab 27 June 2022, 16:31

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @aswartz you can easily do this with each learning object...just select Settings beside the object to see the publishing options...we use the “hide” option all the time for our proctored exams and it works great.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hey thanks for your reply but that doesn’t seem to work.

For example here I’ve hidden three out of four learning objects until future dates. 

But when I enroll someone into the course and they open it and follow the one learning object that is visible and complete that object it completes the course.

I actually don’t want to hide it necessarily but just lock them so they can’t follow them till a future date and they CANNOT complete the course.

This user has status ‘completed’ for the course. If I go back and unhide a learning object this doesn’t change their status back to ‘in progress’. 

Thanks,

Aimee

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Can you try making one of the hidden objects the “end object maker”? never tried this but it may work...otherwise, and depending on the type of object, perhaps you can configure it so it doesn't track completion? SCORM can do that.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Thanks lrnlab,

Unfortunately that doesn’t work either. If the ‘end marker’ is hidden the course still completes without it.

I think end marker is mainly useful if other elements are optional. 

I will look into what’s possible with a learning plan. 

If that doesn’t work I think a graded assignment will be the only way to keep the course from completing which is a bit annoying. 

Best regards,

Aimee

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Another way to keep the course “in progress” would be use a learning object created in SCORM that  does not mark as complete and then use the end object marker to mark the course as completed for the last object to be done by the user.

Userlevel 3

I just came across the exact same situation. I’m surprised there’s no easy way to do this. In another LMS I worked with it was possible to build courses with “lessons” (which would be training materials here), that could be published in a staggered manner. As an author, I could decide for each lesson, if they are supposed to count towards course completion or no (even if they are not published). Which basically would do exactly what’s needed: blocking the course completion. 

For Docebo it seems to be like the platform doesn’t consider an unpulished training material an actual element of the course, and there’s no option to change that. Even though it could just be a simple check box.

Update:

I solved it for our needs by using Learning Plans. Basically I turned the training materials into individual courses and added them to a Learning Plan, in our case 2 courses in one LP, and attached the certificate to the LP. I left the second course in the LP then as unpublished, preventing learners to access it until I publish it. So for now, only a 50% completion is possible. It’s not super elegant, but it works.