Question

Docebo Tests and Lockout settings

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi all, 

Looking for some assistance here as we have been notified that there is a loophole in the lockout settings for tests.

We have important “Assessments” configured with these settings:

Essentially, the user can only attempt the assessment once every 14 days. They cannot resume, they cannot pick up where they left off, and they have to answer all the questions on the page.

Today, we were told that there is a way to “cheat” the lockout. Apparently you can “begin” the test like normal, go through and screenshot the questions and answer choices, and then close your browser and when you navigate back to the test, it acts like it was never taken.

What’s worse, is we have a time setting set for these assessments:

Users have one hour to complete the assessment. When t​​​​​​​hey do the above “bypass”, it resets their time. It’s almost like it doesn’t even recognize that they have previously opened or attempted the assessment and still thinks it’s their first attempt.

This is a serious design flaw and causes these assessments to lose credibility because you can just research the answers before your “official” attempt and then ace the assessment.

Help! Please!

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

are you saying that if they do not “submit” the test, they can attempt it again? Not sure I follow your entire case study.

Userlevel 3
Badge

HI @lrnlab , that is correct. They do not hit the submit button, they just close the browser window after they grab the screenshots.

When they open a new browser session and navigate back to the test in the course, they are given the option to start the test again. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

and do your exam settings prevent users from moving around the test? e.g.: user can only move forward. Have you also blocked them from resuming the test at a later date? Essentially all the options that would allow more free navigation?

Asking cause if these are all set, this would certainly qualify as a bug in my opinion.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @lrnlab , here are screenshots of our test settings.

​​​​​

We have the “Allow users to switch between pages of the test” enabled because we have a first page that notifies them they are about to enter into an “Official Assessment” and should not proceed unless they are planning to do so. 

Do you think disabling this option would fix this behavior?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

certainly worth a try + I would also change it to 1 question/page if you can. This seems to make the test very linear and may resolve the issue…

You can always copy the test into a test item if you want to see if these settings help before making changes to the real test. Use the GIFT export/import...it’s super easy...in your test course, start by creating a test shell, then you can import the GIFT file.

Userlevel 3
Badge

So I can confirm that disabling the “previous page” option does not work. Here’s a screenshot of what it looks like after I enter the test, get past the first page which is just a filler page, then begin going through the questions.

It shows I was in the test for a 1:20, but still allows me to begin again. Granted, it doesn’t save any information put in thus far, but it does not lock them out, which in my opinion, it should. 

I refuse to go through the 20+ assessments we have and put questions on a single page, because the time needed to put in page breaks would be outrageous, plus they would still be able to click through all the pages and get the questions prior to actually taking it, which defeats the point.

I’m opening a ticket with Docebo because this is definitely a bug and a major concern. Thanks for your help anyways, @lrnlab !

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

hmmm...to set the questions to 1 per page is jut one click...just change the setting on the first tab (question display - top portion).

• you might want to try and remove the time element to see ion that helps...Am wondering if that is somehow conflicting with the ability to re-enter the test…??
Userlevel 3
Badge

This option is greyed out so we would need to put in page breaks in between questions:

Removed the time limit, same behavior.

This setting here is only looking for if the learner fail it:

It should also take into account if the learner begins the test AND leaves OR fails it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

The option is greyed out because there users in progress...you can test this if you copy the exam to another course and the you could see if that helps.

As for the time element, I was referring to the overall exam time - have you tried to remove that as well?

If this is a live exam currently in use there are certain changes you cannot make while users are in progress

Userlevel 3
Badge

This test is not that popular that out of 150+ users in my part of the organization, 10 of them are in mid-attempt with an hour time limit.
I’ll try to run a report to see who is listed as “In Progress” on it. I’m willing to bet that this includes those that are using this “bypass” are considered as “In Progress”.

> As for the time element, I was referring to the overall exam time - have you tried to remove that as well?

Yes, completely removed it, attempted again, went through several questions, closed browser tab and was able to start fresh upon revisiting.