Question

How to find the user who uploaded a course

Userlevel 1

I am a new superadmin of our training site.

I'd like to identify the user who uploaded a course.

• What's the easiest way to find that information?
  • I was also wondering why it isn't one of the columns in the Course Management area? Or why it isn't in any of the reports?
  • Or am I looking at the wrong places?

Thanks!

10 replies

Userlevel 4

If the course was created within the last 90 days, you can use the Audit Trail function to identify who created a course or training material. Select the ‘New Course’ item from the Course Events. You can also enter the target ID of the course in the Advanced filter to narrow the search. You can easily find the course Target ID by selecting the course in Course Management. The ID is the number at the end of the URL. In the following example, domain.com/course/edit/1181 the ID of the course is 1181.

You may also be able to identify who created a course through the API explorer, but I don’t know which service or call.

Userlevel 1

If the course was created within the last 90 days, you can use the Audit Trail function to identify who created a course or training material. Select the ‘New Course’ item from the Course Events. You can also enter the target ID of the course in the Advanced filter to narrow the search. You can easily find the course Target ID by selecting the course in Course Management. The ID is the number at the end of the URL. In the following example, domain.com/course/edit/1181 the ID of the course is 1181.

You may also be able to identify who created a course through the API explorer, but I don’t know which service or call.

@pjensen. Thank you. I have used the audit trail in the past.

Also, the 90 day limit was something I wasn’t aware of. Thank you.

But should it be this difficult? 🤦🏽🤦🏽

I will create an idea to make this information more easy to access.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Adding to @pjensen you can use the API called: View a Course. At the very bottom you can see who last updated the course.

You can run the API on your browser (no special skills required).

1. Login to you instance
  2. backspace everything to *.com./
  3. then add: api-browser (it should look like this: https://www.[sitename].com/api-browser)
  4. Locate the View Course API (https://doceboapi.docebosaas.com/api-browser/#!/learn/Course/Course_learn_v1_courses_course_id)
  5. Click on OAUTH to authorize the call from your site/browser (you will see a pop-up, approve the request)
  6. Next, enter the course ID in the box (this is the ID you see when you hover over the course title on the main Course Management page)
  7. Click TRY

8. You will see the results on your screen.
  9. Scroll to the bottom where you can see Created By user details

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 1

Thanks @lrnlab. This works for me. But I still feel that we are having to do this because the product functionality is deficient.

I also have the situation where superusers will need to contact the creator of a course for something. I am guessing that the api-browser and audit trail functionality is limited to superadmins.

Anyway, I have submitted an idea. Let’s see what happens.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Agree @kmanoj some of the basic are missing on the platform...I will add my vote. thx

Userlevel 4
Badge

I agree it should automatically capture that info (and “last update” to a course). Our workaround has been creating an additional field called “Admin Notes’” that is only visible to Super Admins. New courses, changes to courses/training materials are captured via the user making notes, so now we have a running tally of when/who/what was modified. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@lrnlab - Thank you for the API info - APIs are something I really need to get my head around and start taking advantage of, but  it makes my head hurt just looking at it 😂

I’ve just tried your steps and apparently every course was created by me?!  I’m obviously doing something wrong 🙄

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@lrnlab - Thank you for the API info - APIs are something I really need to get my head around and start taking advantage of, but  it makes my head hurt just looking at it 😂

I’ve just tried your steps and apparently every course was created by me?!  I’m obviously doing something wrong 🙄

One thing to keep in mind for apis is that although they are setup for building programmatically, because of the awesome api-browser that has built in ability to authenticate and try runs, you can absolutely use it for quick one offs like this like @lrnlab demos. Anytime you are looking for a little information that isn’t in reports you can usually do a quick call in the explorer to find it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Neil Patterson can you spot check a few with the audit trail app to see if the data is the same?

Userlevel 4

We added a Created By additional field. It has to be populated manually, but all our course creators are trained and required to enter it.