ILT Learner is absent, what should course status be

• 26 September 2022
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Looking for feedback on how others would handle this.

(Yay we get more reporting coming on event status, but…..I don’t know if that answers my questions/problem.)

If you mark a learner absent on an event for a course that is attendance based for course completion. It shows their status as ‘in progress’.

I don’t know what the right answer is here. I don’t think it’s fair to mark them complete, they didn’t show up. BUT the course is over, they can never complete it.

I want to capture that they didn’t show up, I don’t want to show a completion on course reporting (Credit where it isn’t due), but I also don’t want it to hang out forever on their in progress course list.

I could mark them as ‘suspended’ I guess? What does that status even mean?

How are you all dealing with this?

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @lhubbard I feel your pain...there is no real status that could accommodate this scenario...would also love to hear what others are doing...I think “Suspend” blocks them from the course all together so not sure that would work…

Outside the LMS, what would you normally do to track the absence and followup post session? If you have another course that can grant an equivalent credit, that could work to mark the first course as completed, or, if the session was recorded, they could be marked as completed after watching that.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@lrnlab Outside of the LMS we would need to be able to assign them some other training, or count it against the number of acceptable absences for the program. In this specific scenario we need to count it against the number of absences.

I honestly don’t care for equivalencies. I don’t like how both courses show complete on reporting, but I understand why that is.

With these ILT’s I can’t use the video in the ILT to mark complete. The sessions are a whole day, can’t load a video that size. :)

So ideally, we are looking at a report that indicates a ‘failure’ or ‘absent’ status on an ILT and the learner doesn’t have it perpetually in their task list.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I hear you...have you searched the ideas board to see if anything similar has been posted?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

perhaps you can vote this one up?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

*upvoted* (How did I miss that one before!?)  :)

I did search, but nothing stood out. It is always possible I missed something though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Thanks!

Userlevel 1

We just implemented the LMS in April and have a similar issue/question. We need absent to show as “Absent” on a transcript, not “In Progress.” We need to be able to answer if the person no showed to their supervisor (or to OSHA, ISO, API, etc.)  

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

We just implemented the LMS in April and have a similar issue/question. We need absent to show as “Absent” on a transcript, not “In Progress.” We need to be able to answer if the person no showed to their supervisor (or to OSHA, ISO, API, etc.)  

there is no concept of a failed status...users who are absent remain In progress...this way they can re-enrol in a new session...you can change the status manually if you wish

Userlevel 1

there is no concept of a failed status...users who are absent remain In progress...this way they can re-enrol in a new session...you can change the status manually if you wish

Thank you. Unfortunately, we need a “failed status.” For our heavy equipment operation courses, and other safety/quality related pieces we need to be able to designate a failure and then deal with that manually once they retake the course (if they retake it). Not all of our Instructor Led leadership courses will have another session for them to re-enroll, they are one offs. I know how to manually adjust their statuses, it just isn’t helpful in some of our use cases. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’d be interested to hear if any of you have found a solution or workaround to this yet.

We’re currently struggling with the same problem since we can't report on attendance status, we’re stuck with marking users as ‘suspended’ (which we localized as ‘not attended’) when they miss a session so they can show up on reporting. However, this means they are locked out of enrolling themselves in a new session should they want to complete their training.

At the moment our current workaround is to have a 2nd ‘secret’ course where we can mark the same user as ‘suspended’ while leaving the original ‘real’ course still open for them to enroll in a new session.

Just wondering what your thoughts are - thanks!