Question

Manager Approval

• 17 January 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2

When a user requests a course which has to be approved how can this be set to manager approval and how does the process look from the manager perspective?  I appreciate that notifications are used but how does the actual approval work on the platform?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Lisa D unfortunately there is nob built-ini manager approval process. 

In order to give your managers the ability to approve course requests you will need to grant them power user access. With this you will also want to create a specific page and menu for your managers and I recommend adding the Task widget you can configure to display pending course approvals.

When the manager approves a course they are brought to an approval screen where they will see all requests (for users they have line of sight to) with a green check mark/red x beside each request. This is where they would approve or deny a request (you might also want to configure the corresponding notifications to alert users they have been approved, etc.)

The above works well if you are NOT selling your courses. If you plan to sell courses or have power users buy & assign courses to users in their branches it gets much more complicated and the approval process is actually different. Let me know if this is the case fo you and I can share more in this.

Cheek out this KB article for more details:

https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020084340-Managing-Self-Enrollments-and-Waiting-Lists

there are a few more you explore from this page as well.

Hope this helps.

If you plan to sell courses or have power users buy & assign courses to users in their branches it gets much more complicated and the approval process is actually different. Let me know if this is the case fo you and I can share more in this.

@lrnlab I am interested in model of having power users buy & assign courses to users. Could you share more about how you set this up? Or provide any KB articles that might relate?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@mhigbee difficult to say what may be missing in your set-up but here are the permissions for the role we assign to users responsible for purchasing and assigning seats and enrolling users into course...hope it help...please test thoroughly as you may need to adjust some options (since we are using Subscriptions too)

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Lisa D unfortunately there is nob built-ini manager approval process. 

In order to give your managers the ability to approve course requests you will need to grant them power user access. With this you will also want to create a specific page and menu for your managers and I recommend adding the Task widget you can configure to display pending course approvals.

When the manager approves a course they are brought to an approval screen where they will see all requests (for users they have line of sight to) with a green check mark/red x beside each request. This is where they would approve or deny a request (you might also want to configure the corresponding notifications to alert users they have been approved, etc.)

The above works well if you are NOT selling your courses. If you plan to sell courses or have power users buy & assign courses to users in their branches it gets much more complicated and the approval process is actually different. Let me know if this is the case fo you and I can share more in this.

Cheek out this KB article for more details:

https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020084340-Managing-Self-Enrollments-and-Waiting-Lists

there are a few more you explore from this page as well.

Hope this helps.

Hey @lrnlab 

I’d just like to piggy back on this.

We have a course catalog set up with courses that require approval.  This seems to work well as I have tested it extensively and every time I enrol with a test user, the user ends up on the waiting list as expected.

The problem I’m having is with the manager approval.  All managers are set up with power user privileges and the relevant users and courses are added (if I log in as the power user and go to the course management I see the courses and the users - as below).

I have a task list enabled on the home page, but there is nothing to display the pending authorisations (see screenshot)

Here are the settings for the task list

As it stands, the only way the PUs will be able to approve the enrollments is by going into course management, finding the course, going to the right session and then approving it manually.  This is too complicated for them as it is the only reason they use Docebo.  Any idea what I’m getting wrong here?

Thanks a lot

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Sadly a while back, they changed the approval flow and that approval screen no longer appears. You are taken right into course management to “approve” the request which is basically no better than just enrolling the user directly. This needs much improvement.