Question

Notification for waiting list

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

We are having a few issues where a user is enrolling on a session that is full and therefore being place on a waiting list.  As they don’t get a notification they don't realise they will be automatically enrolled when a space becomes available.  The reason this is an issue is when they do get automatically enrolled they have since forgotten about the course and can no longer attend.

So my question is - is there a notification that tells people they are on standby (and they should keep a note in the diary in case a space becomes available), or is there a notification that tells them they have been enrolled on a course as a result of someone else unenrolling?

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @KTJD I had a look at the one called, User waiting to be enrolled in a course, and it looks to have some session short codes...perhaps you can try if you haven't already?

There is still a serious gap for virtual session details (as you can see by the bold comments below)

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Do you know what the trigger is for this notification?  is it the course or the sessions.  Its a notification to let people know they are on the waiting list for a session we need (not a course)

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

also on the same note.  how can we stop notifications where people have been enrolled from a waiting list when the course has already happened i.e.  someone is removed from a course as they didn't show up, it creates a space and then someone is invited after the course has finished.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Do you know what the trigger is for this notification?  is it the course or the sessions.  Its a notification to let people know they are on the waiting list for a session we need (not a course)

I would assume it’s the course but when I saw those tags for the sessions (can’t recall if they have always been there or not + the odd comments look like someone just added this + the fact that some short codes that do not appear in the notification list still work in other templates) led me to think this could work for you. If you have some time, I would certainly run few test cases to see what this notification is actually doing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

also on the same note.  how can we stop notifications where people have been enrolled from a waiting list when the course has already happened i.e.  someone is removed from a course as they didn't show up, it creates a space and then someone is invited after the course has finished.

that’s a good question...I would have assumed that if a session enrolment date has passed, the user in the waitlist would not be automatically added to a past session...if this is the case, I would say this is normal behaviour and perhaps a ticket should be raised. You may want to ensure that your sessions have an enrolment deadline and check whether that makes any difference to prevent a user on the waitlist from being enrolled into a past session.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

that’s a good question...I would have assumed that if a session enrolment date has passed, the user in the waitlist would not be automatically added to a past session...if this is the case, I would say this is normal behaviour and perhaps a ticket should be raised. You may want to ensure that your sessions have an enrolment deadline and check whether that makes any difference to prevent a user on the waitlist from being enrolled into a past session.

We are still struggling with this.  I’m guessing the enrolment deadline only comes into play when someone enrols (which, if a course is full, could be anytime before the session date).  We had an instance today where someone received a booking confirmation on the 25th for a session that happened on the 24th.  This should not happen and I can’t work out how to stop it.

Waiting lists don't really work as they should.  We would like:

• Session is advertised
  • When session is full, users are put on standby(waiting list)
  • If a space becomes available, standby users gets automatically enrolled (as long as its before the session date)
  • once session has started or passed, no more booking can happen and no notifications should go out. Standby users are automatically removed from session waiting list and placed on course waiting list (and maybe even a notification to tell them they missed out this time but look out for other date)

The other issues is that if someone is on standby for a course, they cannot see or book onto future sessions.

I can’t be the only one battling against this?? :( 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

you are not alone @KTJD 

Userlevel 2

This is also an issue for us. I need to be able to have a notification that I can manage (an auto email) that says to the person (user) you have been added to to a waiting list. Also you have now been automatically enrolled into the course from the waiting list and here is your calendar link for them to add to their calendar so they can be reminded to attend. 

THIS IS DESPERATELY NEEDED

Userlevel 3

YES! We need notifications for folks on the waitlists too!

@JoleneW - you can use the User Enrolled in ILT Session event to trigger a notification when they do get auto-enrolled though. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Have you all tried using the “user waiting to be approved to an ILT session” notification. This is triggered for both admin approval and when users join a session waitlist. It should trigger for what you’re asking for to let the user know they are in a waiting status for the session. It’s been awhile since I tested the 2nd part of when the user gets moved from waitlist into the session (via auto waitlist functionality) but I believe the normal User enrolled into ILT session trips for that and should include a calendar attachment if you’ve configured the calendar attachment shortcode as part of the body of the notification. If it’s not that one, it would be “used approved into ILT session”. Hope that helps!

Userlevel 4

@lrnlab It has been my experience that the Waitlist Notification works for ILT sessions—we’ve been doing this  for the last year, virtual or classroom.

Userlevel 4

Waitlists are a huge part of our platform and the Notifications we send around this are ”You are confirmed to attend” OR “You have been waitlisted”

I also send a reminder Notification to myself Notification a week prior to check the waitlist and toes if there is one.

I prefer to have my trainers manage there specific waiting learners, notifying them and encouraging them to take a different session, as well as unenrolling then from a session that they didn’t attend, and that is area that would be great to have Docebo manage for me, as it seems possible to automate that.

Userlevel 3

@TrishAH - doesn’t it also send to people that have completed a previous session though?

Userlevel 5

I am also looking for some clarification on this issue.

I have a “User Waiting To Be Approved To An ILT Session” notification set up, and that appears to be working as expected.

However, I just had an experience where learners were promoted from the session waitlist into the session by the instructor. However, they never received the User Enrolled in ILT Session notification.

Assuming I had missed creating an important notification, I found “User Approved” an “User Approved Into An ILT Session.” The later is described this way:

I notice this specifically says, “...approved by a Superadmin...”. Does anyone use this notification who can tell me if this is *really* triggered only by the Superadmin, or if being promoted by an instructor would also trigger this notification.

Thanks!

Userlevel 3
Badge

A while back we had this same issue but we managed to use CSS to create a banner for courses they are on the waitlist for. So if you click into a course you will see a banner at the top. 

If you aren’t familiar with how to update :

Admin Menu > Configuring Brand and Look > Custom Styles 
Then add it to 7.0 Custom CSS 

.course-waiting-list:before {
  content:'You are on the waitlist for this course'; 
  visibility: visible;
  display: block;
  background-color: red;
  color: white;
  font-size: 18px;
  padding: 5px;
  text-align: center;