Best Answer

Survey results downloading as text file rather than excel file

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi all,

When I click the button shown below to download survey results, the file is being downloaded in text (.txt) format rather than Excel format. Does anyone know why this might be?

icon

Best answer by Annarose.Peterson 19 May 2023, 00:57

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

hmm, that seems like a bug.  I used to be able to get that in excel, but testing in my platform, both the options (excel and CSV) just create a .txt. file to be downloaded.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Same thing here.  Must be a new bug…

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thanks all, I’ll submit a ticket to support. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

we saw that yesterday and logged a ticket...seems to be affecting all reports under course management

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

we saw that yesterday and logged a ticket...seems to be affecting all reports under course management

😮  Thank you all for logging tickets for that!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

The development team has given an ETA of May 31st for the fix.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

I had a user ask me this yesterday morning but by the time I was able to try to reproduce the issue, it pulled up just fine for me as an XLS file.  At the time, I thought maybe it was an issue with her Office installation (we’ve had some Office updates that would break the associations with the file extensions and we’d have to manually open Word/Excel for it to re-establish those connections).  But it sounds like it might have been an issue on Docebo’s end instead.  Has there been a fix put in place already or did it work for me as a Super Admin and not for them as a Power User / Instructor?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Has anyone tried to do the csv and then just change the file extension to csv to see if it opens fine as a workaround for now?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yeah, you can open the text files with excel and use Text to Columns to fix it, but it still seems like a bug if you are expecting a .xls or .csv to be downloaded and you are receiving a .txt file.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Yeah, you can open the text files with excel and use Text to Columns to fix it, but it still seems like a bug if you are expecting a .xls or .csv to be downloaded and you are receiving a .txt file.

100% a bug, just good for folks to know, you could prob just literally change the .txt to .csv if you download the csv format and would work as expected. wouldn’t expect the same for xlsx though since different file wrapper expectations. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I had a user ask me this yesterday morning but by the time I was able to try to reproduce the issue, it pulled up just fine for me as an XLS file.  At the time, I thought maybe it was an issue with her Office installation (we’ve had some Office updates that would break the associations with the file extensions and we’d have to manually open Word/Excel for it to re-establish those connections).  But it sounds like it might have been an issue on Docebo’s end instead.  Has there been a fix put in place already or did it work for me as a Super Admin and not for them as a Power User / Instructor?

Hi @sjennings78 

I just tested this again and the file is still downloading as a .txt file on our platform.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Support have advised the fix should be in place  by May 31.

IN the meantime, if you change the file extension to “ .csv “, you can open the file properly in excel.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Just heard from support that this issue has been fixed. I tested it on our platform and everything seems to be okay.