Enrolling People into ILT is time consuming

• 9 December 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I feel like the enrolling people into an ILT session is really time consuming. I will lay out how we use ILT and maybe someone can suggest an easier way for us to do this. We have 2 different ILT trainings we do for on boarding employees, we will call them training 1 and training 2. Training 1 happens 60 days after the employee starts and training 2 within 60 days after the completion of training 1. We offer both trainings in person and virtual. Right now we offer about 4 of these per month. To enroll people we have to create an event and then a session and then enroll each person into these sessions and then after the fact we have to go into the trainings and mark people as attended. Groups and auto enrolling can become tricky because our warehouse and store employees can only be enrolled in certain special events that will work for their location specifically. 

Is there anyone that knows of a way to streamline this process to keep my trainers from having to take so much time setting up, enrolling and marking as attended?

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I reversersed the meaning of session and event above^

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Are you using the options to enrol via CSV import? also for making attendance, you can mark attendance for the entire group at once when using the ‘select all’ option on the attendance page. + using the option to mark the course as completed when marking attendance saves additional time...

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Definitely echo @lrnlab on investigate the CSV option, it still sucks a bit, but a little bit less.

If you have any dev ability or access, I also highly recommend exploring the API for this as it has really automated this whole process for us and taken scheduling times down from 10-20 minutes to under a minute a session/event for one off’s, and seconds for hundreds when done in bulk.

I have seen folks block self-enrollment, but use a form to let users register where they can add the branch/field logic necessary to manage the conditions, and then do enrollment imports to the events. I use this technique as well, but use the API so folks get into the session directly through the form.

Couple articles in the API series I am writing are on this process directly and should be out and available soon if interested.

For marking attendance, have done a couple combinations of click to join marks attendance, and then the instructor removed anyone they saw leave, or have done a QR code that triggers an API call to mark the attendance for the user too, and this is only shown either at the end of class, or end of virtual session.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello @Bfarkas and @lrnlab I think the CSV will definitely be helpful, it sparked a few ideas in my mind of how to do this. I will investigate it with my trainers and report back

@Bfarkas, we have been doing a lot of work in the API side of things and I would love to see those articles when available

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Marking this to circle back to once they are published :)

There are a few related here, one that takes a CSV easier and processes them all in bulk, and one for self service creation.