Best Answer

How to prominently display the course description (without limitations)

• 30 November 2022
  • 2 replies

Hi all,

Looking for suggestions from anyone who may have solved for this or can point out something we are missing.

What we are trying to do:

• Prominently display course descriptions to users without forcing them to enroll/start a (optional) course to see it WHILE being able to use widgets

Here are the options that seem to exist, the problem is they have unfortunate limitations based on how Docebo has set up the course player and properties:

• Enable the “Course Overview Page” which displays the course overview page upon opening (doesn’t require you to enroll/start the course). HOWEVER, if you want to include course widgets like forums, comments, file repository, etc., those display OVER the course description on that page defeating the purpose.
  • Force users to enroll/start a course to be able to see the description by either using the course description widget which then displays at the bottom of the launch/start page, or create an HTML page (first training material) that describes the course - forcing users to start/enroll also defeats the purpose.

Anything we are missing, or suggestions from others who’ve conquered this?

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by Annarose.Peterson 30 November 2022, 22:27

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The closest I think you can get to that without forcing users to enroll is to use that Internal view link (the view of a course that is accessed from a catalog).

Here is a post that talks more about those links: 

Once you create those links, you can link them up on pages.  Unfortunately, you can’t get widgets up on that view.

Thanks for your reply! It’s validating to know that we are not missing anything. I hope Docebo corrects this approach in the future. Widgets should not display over the top of the course description from the overview page. It’s crazy to me that’s how it was designed.

And THANK YOU for sharing the link to the other post. We are just launching Docebo next month and knowing the best practice for launch URLs will likely prevent the errors mentioned.