Best Answer

Learning plans optional courses possible ??

• 6 December 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hey

when creating a learning plan is it possible to set some courses as optional and others as compulsory

Thanks

Matthew 

icon

Best answer by dklinger 6 December 2021, 17:00

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Not exactly.

You can land up with a desired side effect that will cover what you are describing. But you cannot do exactly that.

You can establish courses with prerequisites to other courses to enforce sequences, and you can establish equivalencies.

In combination? You may be able to reach that desired side effect.

Here is the idea though:

Continue to vote it up….!

Last note - it is not the compulsory/mandatory courses that are the piece that is not currently in place. Its the optional one that it misses with.

Badge

thanks for the quick reply-- Up-voted 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

HI @Matthew you might also look at using course equivalencies between those courses in your LP...not quite what you’re looking for but it could allow users to ‘skip’ courses if you make the mandatory ones equivalencies for the optional ones...You'd probably need to explain that in the description though.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

If you need a learner to complete one of 2 courses you can either use equivalencies or this method. I prefer this one because I read that equivalencies mark BOTH courses complete. Showing both courses complete is a compliance nightmare.

In a course:
Add an HTML training material to the front to present the learner with instructions.

Insert both AICC(or whatever you have) training materials
Set both AICCs with the end object marker.
Set the course navigation to First option is prereq
Make sure the table of contents is enabled so the learner immediately sees the sections.

The downside, it's not always super clear to the learner that they have completed the course. Definitely test this solution before deploying.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Matthew I agree with @lhubbard regarding the course tracking however we found that reports do show a time spent as “0s” while the course that was actually completed would show the actual time spent in the course...Guess you have to choose your poison...:rolling_eyes:

Badge

Thanks  @lrnlab and @lhubbard  for the feedback, will look at your suggestions