Best Answer

Linked Learning Plans - Delaying start of second Learning Plan

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Everyone

I am new to Docebo having just been released into the wild by our consultant last week!!

We have two Learning Plans each containing three ILT courses. 
Learning Plan-1 must be completed before Learning Plan-2 is started.
Once the last course is completed in Learning Plan-1, the Learner is not required to start the first course in Learning Plan-2 for a further 12 months (are you still with me?).

Is there a way of creating a delay between Learning Plan-1 being completed and Learning Plan-2 being started?  We’re trying to avoid having to set up reminders to enroll people nearer the time.

Many thanks

icon

Best answer by jlreonal 14 March 2023, 16:10

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Good morning - current state? It is my opinion that you could try to stand something up? But it will not be durable for long.

A key element for doing what you want to do inside of the system involves windows of time.

Groups being able to be mapped to things (enrollment rules) in a window of time establishes what I would think of as a trickle curriculum - something that you are trying to achieve.

You can create a different kind of curriculum - where you “gate” it...and open all at once the next layer or step.

A recommendation though - and we did this to support this issue? If you are supported by your HRIS? If they can help with a flag somewhere on the duration or something based on an employee’s personnel data?

You may be able to trickle folks based on windows of their company start date for example (I have done in the past a 30 day, 60 day, 90 day window). If they have helped you evaluate one date? Maybe have them help you evaluate another? This could establish your window and flatten it to something that groups can do nicely with (a simple Y or N flag).

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

1. Set your ILT courses in LP 1 in sequential order.

2. Create an Automatic Group,

Enrollment status based conditions: 

- Course: ILT Course 3
    - Enrollment Status = Completed

3. Create Learning Plan Enrollment Rule, select the Automatic Group you created and LP2 in Resources (Note: Users belonging to the groups before the rule creation will not be enrolled in the LP2) You will need to create an Enrollment Rule first before your Group, make sure that your Group is correct and captures the right audience. This approach would automatically enroll users in the LP2, I am not sure if there is a way to delay the enrollment. You can maybe set-up a Completion notification for LP1 informing that they will be enrolled in LP2, but are not required to complete it now, or set-up in ILT course 3 a reminder in ‘Completion’ email, say 48 weeks after the Event, meaning 4 weeks before users are due to complete LP2.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@jlreonal 
Thank you for your reply.
All the things you’ve suggested we’ve already done but it’s good to have confirmation that we’re on the right track 😊  However we haven’t “set-up in ILT course 3 a reminder in ‘Completion’ email, say 48 weeks after the Event, meaning 4 weeks before users are due to complete LP2”.
How do I do that please?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

This is the set-up for our 2-year reminder. You can set this up in your ILT Course 3 (LP1). You can count the no. of weeks you want this to trigger as reminder for your ILT Course 1 (LP2).

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thank you @jlreonal 

I’m assuming I just change the subject title and notification message that’s currently contained in the Learner completed a course notification template?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Yes, that is correct but please be mindful of the tags. Also, since you will be setting-up the notification in ILT 3 (LP1), tags/links will be referenced to this course. Maybe add instructions on how your learners can access the courses in LP2 or add the Enrollment Link for your ILT 1 (LP2) in the completion email that you will be setting-up.

Userlevel 4

I am not sure if there is a way to delay the enrollment. 

There’s no way to delay enrollment in a learning plan that I know of. But you can delay course access using the learning plan prerequisite settings. There also is a course unlock rule in learning plan notifications, which can be used to alert the learner when the next course becomes available. Three possible ways to do delay access to content for this use case:

• Make the last course in LP1 also the first course in LP2, so it’s already complete when the learner is enrolled in LP2. Then set LP2-C1 as a time-delayed access prereq to LP2-C2.
  • Create an entirely new C1 in LP2 that’s just an HTML material with instructions, so as soon as the learner views the instructions, they get marked complete. Set C1 as a time-delayed  prereq to C2.
  • Set a course equivalency for the last course in LP1 and the first course in LP2. Again, enable prerequisite and delay course unlock.

I have not tested any of these yet. But we’ve recently had the same need come up. I’ll post our findings. 

Userlevel 4

I am not sure if there is a way to delay the enrollment. 

I have not tested any of these yet. But we’ve recently had the same need come up. I’ll post our findings. 

All three worked successfuly. We’re probably going to use Option 2 though, because it’s the simplest, and also lets us provide onscreen instructions to orient the learner (“Why is my course locked??”).

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks @jlreonal I’ll give this a try.

Three possible ways to do delay access to content for this use case:

• Make the last course in LP1 also the first course in LP2, so it’s already complete when the learner is enrolled in LP2. Then set LP2-C1 as a time-delayed access prereq to LP2-C2.
  • Create an entirely new C1 in LP2 that’s just an HTML material with instructions, so as soon as the learner views the instructions, they get marked complete. Set C1 as a time-delayed  prereq to C2.
  • Set a course equivalency for the last course in LP1 and the first course in LP2. Again, enable prerequisite and delay course unlock.

HI @rtomchuk  that’s sounds interesting. 

Please share if it works.