New to API

Userlevel 4
Badge

We are new to API. Our LMS Admin team is pretty smart but don’t have prior API knowledge. Is there a good resource to get us started so we can take advantage of Docebo’s API? Is there a 3rd party software you use to make the API interface more user-friendly for lay people?

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@KatieD to get started, you can access this KBA for Docebo’s API table of contents:

https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/sections/360005441800-APIs

An excerpt from the “Introduction” page calls out where the actual API documentation exists (to see the endpoints):

Detailed documentation of all of Docebo’s publicly available APIs is available within your Docebo platform. The documentation is constantly updated with the most up-to-date API version. The access link to the documentation is as follows: https://<yoursubdomain.docebosaas.com>/api-browser/ The available microservices are listed in the SERVICES combobox.

I would suggest going from top down, as the steps are key to understanding how to invoke and access the API’s (e.g. setting up API and SSO + OAuth2 app in the LMS).

Beyond the insights above, know that your Account Manager and our Customer Solutions Consultant teams are standing by to assist, do not hesitate to reach out to your AM with your questions.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

I use the API in a few different ways.  For one-off stuff I use the api-browser at https://your_site_here/api-browser. I grab the token using this: 

For uploading course completions, exam questions, and things like that I generally use Postman to interact with the API.  There’s very little documentation how to do this, especially when it comes to bulk uploads.  If folks are interested I can put something together.

For automation, I generally interact with the API using a process automation tool like Integromat. Docebo also has their tool called Docebo Connect.  There are others as well.

eSkillz had a webinar that went over a bit of using the API. @jessica.sanderson gave that presentation, and may be able to share the recording.

API’s are often pretty user-unfriendly since they’re kind of a programmer’s tool. However, I’m glad to help you any way I can.  What are you trying to accomplish through the API?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @KatieD we are fortunate to have access to a developer/coder who was able to give us a quick lesson on how to use these. I agree it’s really not intuitive for anyone not familiar with what these are and what they do but there are many resources on YouTube and as mentioned above, your best and easiest route may be to connect with your account manager. Once you understand the concept, it’s a matter of whether you want to use the API’s from built-in Docebo API Explorer or whether you are looking to automate these processes where you will require access to a server and somer additional coding experience to set-up. Sometimes, it’s worth investing some $$ to get an expert to set this up and show you how to manage it after that.

I use the API in a few different ways.  For one-off stuff I use the api-browser at https://your_site_here/api-browser. I grab the token using this: 

For uploading course completions, exam questions, and things like that I generally use Postman to interact with the API.  There’s very little documentation how to do this, especially when it comes to bulk uploads.  If folks are interested I can put something together.

For automation, I generally interact with the API using a process automation tool like Integromat. Docebo also has their tool called Docebo Connect.  There are others as well.

eSkillz had a webinar that went over a bit of using the API. @jessica.sanderson gave that presentation, and may be able to share the recording.

API’s are often pretty user-unfriendly since they’re kind of a programmer’s tool. However, I’m glad to help you any way I can.  What are you trying to accomplish through the API?

Hello elamast,

Our team has been trying to find a way to upload exam questions in bulk. Is this a possibility using Postman?

Thanks!