Best Answer

One certificate for a bundle of courses

• 22 March 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi everybody,

I have quite a specific need. I have a group of courses (say, 10) where if a learner completes some of them (say, 8), they get one certificate.

How can I achieve this in Docebo Learn? I thought about making it available through a LP, but I did not find a way to assign it to those who managed to complete 8 of the 10 courses. I also thought about leveraging course equivalencies, but I did not come up with a good answer (maybe I haven’t thought about it deeply enough!).

Has anybody faced an issue like this? Did you find a simple solution without contemplating the possibility to write down all the possible combinations of the 8 out of 10 courses?

Thanks in advance!

Mauro

icon

Best answer by Bfarkas 22 March 2022, 20:20

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

In our case, where we have different combinations of courses leading to a certification, we have had to externalize the logic.  I would imagine this is very similar to the problem you describe with complex logic for a course certificate.

One way of handling this would be to set up a certification that has a certificate attached, but is manually awarded.  Then you would need to write out your completions to an external database of your choosing using a webhook. On the database end of things, you would trigger a query (it could be every time a new record is written) that looks for any eight out of the possible ten courses for that student that lead to the certification.  When the magic combination is hit, you would trigger an API call to Docebo to award the certification (which issues the certificate).

The choice of database depends on your data security requirements for holding completion data, what you’re allowed to use for automation, and what tools present the lowest learning curve and expense.  If you have Office 365 you can probably do everything in there, although I find Power Automate (the automation part of the solution) to be more painful than it needs to be. Others probably like it more than I do. 

eSkillz (a Docebo partner we use and I have consulted for) has people skilled in providing custom solutions like this if you don’t want to roll your own.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

HI @MauroBorghesi the Learning Plan is definitely your best option to provide a certificate for a group of courses...as for obtaining a cert for only part of the LP completion, you’re on the right track with equivalencies. Maybe decide on which courses are the most alike or less of a priority to track/complete and make those your equivalencies. It would probably be best to point your users towards those course rather than trying to account for all possible permutations. 

There is also an option in the LP that allows you to define how many courses need to be completed in order to satisfy a prerequisite; not sure this would help you but perhaps with the equivalencies, you can fashion something that could account for 2 courses the user would not complete and force them to do the content you need them to complete.

Another, more complex and perhaps off normal way to look at this would be to create enrolment rules that would, once a user completes a certain set of courses (you could create several rules) would be assigned a course that carries your completion certificate. Not so elegant but it would give you set level of control and predictably 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

If it is trully any of the 8 give you a completion, then I don’t think you can quite get there within the system only. If there are hardlined, this or that courses than equivalencies with LP’s can get you there, otherwise I’d be looking at an external process that uses LP’s and reports and essentially marks things complete once 8 are done.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Does anybody have an approach to doing this using equivalencies, or some other in-built feature of Docebo?  I have a series of courses in a catalog, and want to give certificates based on individual subsets of those courses.  I don’t want to package them into learning plans though, since I don’t necessarily want to force people to take them, I’d prefer they be able to free-navigate and choose which courses they wish to take, including taking the whole set, rather than having smaller learning plans sort of guide them to quitting partway though.

So let’s just say the series is courses 1-10.  I might want to give a certificate for courses 1-5, another one for 6-8, and another one for 9-10.  Is there a reasonably simple way to make a group of courses and/or learning plans contribute to a certificate?  It’s doable for badges, as you can set a badge to require all of a defined set of courses, but I don’t see a similar function for certificates.

Userlevel 3

In our case, where we have different combinations of courses leading to a certification, we have had to externalize the logic.  I would imagine this is very similar to the problem you describe with complex logic for a course certificate.

One way of handling this would be to set up a certification that has a certificate attached, but is manually awarded.  Then you would need to write out your completions to an external database of your choosing using a webhook. On the database end of things, you would trigger a query (it could be every time a new record is written) that looks for any eight out of the possible ten courses for that student that lead to the certification.  When the magic combination is hit, you would trigger an API call to Docebo to award the certification (which issues the certificate).

The choice of database depends on your data security requirements for holding completion data, what you’re allowed to use for automation, and what tools present the lowest learning curve and expense.  If you have Office 365 you can probably do everything in there, although I find Power Automate (the automation part of the solution) to be more painful than it needs to be. Others probably like it more than I do. 

eSkillz (a Docebo partner we use and I have consulted for) has people skilled in providing custom solutions like this if you don’t want to roll your own.

We have more or less the same request, we need to issue a certificate when a user completes two learning plans and one ILT. So I assume the webhook is the answer to this as well? Thank you!