Sharing a new way to offer targeted notification/courses to learners for recertification

• 6 January 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Many of us who attended the Docebo Inspire conference in October expressed the frustration for the recertification feature - Certifications & Retraining from the Super Admin menu. 

The complex issue business case is that we want to offer recertification, but not asking people to redo the same course, but a new and different course. Currently the default solution is to offer learners to re-do the same course/learning plan they have previously completed. 

I have spent some time and figured out a way to send out targeted notification to these learners and provide them with a link to a different course/learning plan. Here is my workaround: 

1. Create an automatic group using user enrollment status to a course/LP as completed - this allows me to pinpoint the exact people who have completed the certification in the first place
  2. Now go to the Notifications app from the Admin menu - select the type of notification Certification has expired
  3. Draft your email notification and add the enrollment link to the new course/LP that learners will complete and link to the group created in step 1
  4. Test test test and then activate the notification 

This has worked for our team and I am happy to share! It did take me a while to figure out everything and make it work. 

I heard that Docebo has the plan to revamp/improve the recertification and retraining app features, so hopefully it would be improved soon in 2023. 

Thanks everyone!

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I have spent some time and figured out a way to send out targeted notification to these learners and provide them with a link to a different course/learning plan. Here is my workaround...

Thank you for this idea. I can see how this would work in a number of scenarios.  

Currently we have each (of our many) certifications broken out into annual editions (2022, 2023, etc.), and each is good for X years (3 or 5) so that we can maintain a history of certifications.  Lots of extra admin overhead to do this, but it seems like the only way if we can’t keep a certification history out of the box.

Another challenge is that certifications don’t have their own certificates (only courses do), so we have created “shell” courses that are fulfilled by equivalency rules that carry those certification certificates (those are separate from completion certificates for us).  For single courses it’s pretty easy to issue the certification certificates, but much harder to do so for complex certifications.  Currently we have a manual process in place for students to request those more complex certifications (course a or course b, AND course c or course d, within X days start to finish). so that we can manually issue them, but this is quite tedious. (I’m working on a method of automating this outside of Docebo, but it requires writing out completions to an external database, applying some logic to query those, and then triggering the certification through the API.)

Lastly, there’s the issue of certificate management (how to report out certificate numbers, etc.), but I probably need to put that in a new thread before getting too far off topic. 😏

Userlevel 2
Badge

@elamast 

Thanks for your contribution. 

I can image how much work to do this when you mentioned the following: 

Currently we have a manual process in place for students to request those more complex certifications (course a or course b, AND course c or course d, within X days start to finish). so that we can manually issue them, but this is quite tedious. (I’m working on a method of automating this outside of Docebo, but it requires writing out completions to an external database, applying some logic to query those, and then triggering the certification through the API.)

Our team just don’t have the administrative capacity to do that. 

I am very interested in learning how Docebo can help you with API support, seems fabulous if achievable and implemented. Please keep in touch. 

Have a great day!

Gracie.