Best Answer

How do you filter and curate Docebo content to find the right courses?

• 21 January 2022
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Evening everyone. So we have access to Go1 for access to over 50K courses.

Cool.  I have people showing up asking for leadership courses and courses for managers, but that does not help when you start off at ground zero.

And so - that question of the day? What method do you use to help curate content forward from Go1?

icon

Best answer by John 28 January 2022, 03:27

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

My first step is to reach out to my Go1 contact, tell him what I am looking for, and ask for some suggestions. He has been pretty good about assigning me a few courses to review once I give him a topic / subject matter.

If what he sends me isn’t right on, then comes the second most time-consuming step… sifting through the 50k courses myself. 

Go1 has a ton of content available, but a lot of it is very specific to an audience or region. For example: I was looking for HR training on harassment, but most courses I found were for a specific country, or a specific US state. I ended up spending quite some time watching harassment trainings before I found the right one.

If you have a team around you, you can divide and conquer to review potential courses to bring into your LMS. Otherwise, "with great power (access to the entire Go1 library), comes great responsibility.” 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Dahveed - thanks for your response.

I get where you are going. Will share a concept shortly….maybe it will help folk...

Userlevel 7
Badge +6
An approach that made alot of sense to me.

@Dahveed - so when I went to tackle this one? I had the general idea of milestones to achieve with any curation project based on an article or two on course curation.

And I think it makes alot of sense. The aggregation is something that is being made straight forward for us, and really the business begins with filtering down towards the right content. And that is what you begin to talk through above. There are other key steps (organizing and contextualizing), or the cohesiveness of the content will not be there and the message runs a risk of being lost.

To assist with that? I have put together a “tool” to aim at being as effective as possible during a single round of review with a SME (attached). Spinning too much on curation will be a dissatisfier and not get folks to a strong place with their own needs, but I think to be fair? The metaphor of walking into a library to get what a person needs on a first try feels daunting.

What I am curious about is the “in practice”. Are efforts like this (lots of structure) ignored because of waves of requests? Have you had luck with keeping these requests structured enough so that they make sense on the other end? Or are others allowing for “the pull” in any shape or form? I just cant imagine it to be like that (unless you “decentralize” that approach and let your managers/employees have a full blown LXP experience pulling towards them 100s if not 1000s of titles at their will.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@dklinger , per usual, your perspective and approach is spot on. Filtering is key. Personally,  I start from the full catalog and narrow down (https://[yourdomain].docebosaas.com/marketplace/details/content-library/catalog/topic/all-taxonomy).

The first filter I use is, “Mobile Responsive”, which brings me from ~85K courses to ~66K. Then I apply the language, English in this case, and results go down to 62K. So, not really moving the needle… what else can we do to narrow the search? Selecting an option under “Regional Relevance”, I chose “US”, which brings me down to ~950 courses. That really helped!

Still, I need to do better before searching a phrase or keyword I’m targeting. One approach is to select the “Popular” Sort By option.

The system will default to “Last Updated”, but that’s not always the most helpful when you’re looking for “hot” courses by enrollment activity across all content offered in the catalog. (The gurus can correct me if I’ve misspoken about how “Popular” is actually sorted but I think it has something to do with either enrollments, aggregate course accesses, or completions.)

After applying the Sort By option, you can see we went from the “Science of Soap” to some of the more relevant and well-known courses we’re used to seeing for many businesses today:

Not to say this is a perfect method, and to each his/her own, but it’s given me good results in the past finding quality content within the catalog. There are many other filters you can try out before searching and digging into the list, but one “Idea” that I think would be clutch here is to allow for saving of Applied Filters or “presets” you can bounce into.

Hope it’s helpful and of course our team is always open to suggestions. Drop those Ideas in the comments if you got ‘em! ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@John - thank you!

Your experience may be different for others as you are consuming “premium” versus working the detail directly from the Go1 site. But having their curators around can be ultra helpful as well.

And thank you for walking your approach. Very cool to see it in action.

So I am going to add a minor refinement to the document that I put out there.

Again trying to get people to really hone so you are not left alone in front of a huge library is key. Especially when you are just starting a foundational layer for your organization? You are going to want to hone in on getting people used to bringing to the table more in the beginning. It may be frustrating, but you can also voice that you want to keep the review cycles down to a serious minimum.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

This is a helpful thread. One challenge I’ve encountered is that some of our VPs want browsing access to our Docebo premium content library. I don’t want to make them admin superusers, but I can’t get the Docebo content library to share properly. I have a support ticket submitted, so I’ll post what I find out. 

Bill Sodeman
Seven Hills Foundation

Userlevel 3
Badge

This is a great thread, however, how do your users actually browse, lets say, from 900+ pieces of content and find the courses they’re looking for? Am I the only one to think that Docebo’s filtering could do with some updates? E.g. I’d like to see Category, Topic, Skills on my course catalogue, instead I have to create Additional fields for this and update (let’s not forget that our API doesn’t support batch updates for additional fields). Am I missing out on something?

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

My organization has the premium library, which has 80K+ courses in it, so library search is top-of-mind for me. I’ve shared library access with several teammates. 

Library and catalog search on keywords and category would be helpful. I have to be very careful about moving courses from our Docebo library to the catalogs to avoid overwhelming the users. 

Starting at this URL, as pointed out earlier, is helpful.

https://[yourdomain].docebosaas.com/marketplace/details/content-library/catalog/topic/all-taxonomy

IIRC the dropdown box in library search for selecting vendor needs recoding. It’s very slow. 

If there’s an way to do this in the API, I’d love to know. 

All suggestions and corrections are welcome. I’ve only 6 months experience on Docebo and am always learning. 

billso!
Seven Hills Foundation

Userlevel 3

Hello @dklinger @Dahveed @billso @sabine.deliveroo! I am the product manager for Content Marketplace. Thank you so much for your input. Kindly note that a number of improvements will be released next month in the Docebo Content Library including missing filters and better functionality of the sorting options. In terms of making your Content Library available to your learners to self-enrol, you are able to do so by following the instructions on our Knowledge Base ‘Managing the Docebo Content Catalog in Docebo Learn’ section:

https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020124599-Managing-Docebo-Content

On a separate note, we would like to validate with you our future vision of the Content Marketplace with a particular focus on automated recommendations and a targeted self-guided curation process. I would love to speak to you and gather your insights. Please feel free to send me a direct message and I will arrange a quick call to discuss soon. Very much looking forward to hearing from you! Liza 
FYI @John 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@LizaK., to the rescue with upcoming customer Content interviews.

Excited for the changes that are in the works! From the sneak peeks I’ve seen, they will certainly improve the overall search experience and efficiency for admins when managing their Docebo Content selections/imports. 😁