The power of TAGS

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Getting the most out of the Universal Search feature is sometimes a challenge...To get your content, courses and other assets proper visibility and to make sure they appear in user search results, use the TAGS option to include those keywords your users would typically use to find the content. Sometimes it’s not enough to use the auto-generated tags and I found that using the course title (in some cases) gets that asset to the top of the search results.

Tags are really useful when used fully.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I would like to add to this that you should always check the auto-generated tags. We had some really weird and sometimes funny results, like the word “pinocchio” or “hobbit”.

Pinocchio was a word that indeed was dropped in the video (once) but still it was funny to see it in the tags section.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@abartunek agree totally. I found when training admins, this is usually a missed or forgotten step. In addition to the fact that getting to the tags is not obvious, this does not help matters. I did some testing with tags to enhance search results and can confirm they work well but that all depends on having proper, relevant tags to begin with.

Userlevel 5
Badge

I know I’m late to this convo… but I can’t find any information in the Knowledge Base (or maybe my search abilities are lacking) on how to edit or add tags to a course!

Help me Obi Wan you are my only hope.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

HI @Dahveed you can edit tags at the Learning Object level only (the course inherits these)...To edit, 

• goto Training Materials and select EDIT for the learning object
  • on the left of the panel, click Additional Info
  • you will see the tags and can edit them here

Please note that getting to the tags varies depending on the object type:

Tests

for a Test

Videos and most other learning objects

Slide Converter:

Userlevel 5
Badge

Awesome! Thank you!

You are a scholar and gentleman.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Dahveed :blush:

Userlevel 3
Badge

I have been asked by our internal taxonomist to provide a list of all tags we use and will be subject to future standardization.  Is there a way to search, manage or export all tags within the platform?

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Great tip @lrnlab . We achieved the same using an additional field at course level.

Userlevel 3

Have any of you found a good way to mass manage / edit tags? We are excited to turn off auto-tagging today, but now we want to get some good tags across the system but going training material by training material seems unachievable. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Have any of you found a good way to mass manage / edit tags? We are excited to turn off auto-tagging today, but now we want to get some good tags across the system but going training material by training material seems unachievable. 

Hi @carol.johnson2 

@Bfarkas shared this post a few months ago, I believe this is exactly what you are looking for.

Rosalie

Userlevel 3

Is it possible to run a report to show which tags are being used in what course?

@Scott Foster  Did you happen to find out anything about it?🤔

Hi @Scott Foster, @jeny

This comment might come in super late, but I have been experimenting with tags today and thought others might benefit from what I’ve learned. 

If you go under the Admin View > Course Management, then select all courses (by clicking the SELECT ALL button), you can pull a report that includes all tags. 

Once all courses have been selected, click CHOOSE ACTION > Export Courses Data. The Export Courses Data page will be displayed.

From the Options tab of the Export Courses Data page, select:

• File Format > .XLS (otherwise the report will look like a hot mess).
  • Choose the Separator > The default is set to “;” and it is fine to leave as is.
  • Advanced Settings > “Include column names in the first row” should be checked. 

From the Data tab of the Export Courses Data page, select:

• Course Details > Select ID, Code, Title (these will make it easy to understand which courses the tags are associated with).
  • Training Material Data > “Export Training Material Data” should be checked (this is the most important part).

Once ready, click CONFIRM. The report will become available to download from your inbox or from the Background jobs section of your platform. 

After downloading the report, open the archive on your computer. If you did everything as above, the downloaded archive should include two reports: one for the course details, one for the training materials data, as visible in the screenshot below. You will want to open the training_materials_data one

You will find that the training_materials_data report includes a Tags column

From here, use Excel filters/formulas to extract what you need. Hopefully this makes tags management a bit easier. :)

Userlevel 5
Badge

@andreea dragu Thank you so much for the report information. We had auto-tagging turned on and it created a lot of weird tags. This report is exactly what we need to identify the courses that require clean up.

Has anyone found a way to improve the auto-tagging feature, or is it best just to shut it off?

Userlevel 3

DISREGARD