Question

Training Material - file upload options

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hello!

I am looking for a way to upload a PowerPoint file with automations to the LMS where the automations will be preserved, and the user cannot download the file. Is this possible? Slides converter converts the PPT to a PDF. And uploading as ‘file’ allowed the user to download. 

Anyone have any ideas or come across this?

16 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

iSpring Presenter (or Converter) is a good option for keeping animations intact.

Userlevel 4
Badge

What if you loaded the ppt into the platform and had it open in a new window? I believe it should run just as the it should since you are viewing outside of the platform in the web app. Consequently, you would need to tell the Learner to choose “Slide Show” and then “From Beginning” to have the animations run. If Power Point viewer is still around maybe you could open the file in the viewer which then could open in a new window...just a couple thoughts…

Cheers,

Tim

Userlevel 4
Badge

You may want to read “Power Point with Links...@Lucy.blake” They are suggesting Google slides. This article is a knowledge Base article on Google Drive etc. 

work arounds…

Cheers,

Tim

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@simone.yaghi I’d second @elamast’s recommendation for iSpring Converter Pro. It’s a great option to convert PPT to HTML5.

Alternatively, as @tmurphy recommended, I can confirm that animations are preserved when using Google Slides as either assets or training material.

Userlevel 1

@simone.yaghi I’d second @elamast’s recommendation for iSpring Converter Pro. It’s a great option to convert PPT to HTML5.

Alternatively, as @tmurphy recommended, I can confirm that animations are preserved when using Google Slides as either assets or training material.

Hi @Adam Ballhaussen and @elamast ! Newbie here….if I convert my PowerPoint to HTML5 using the iSpring Converter Pro….I would upload that by clicking “add training material” within the course, and then in the create section selecting “HTML page”? Then just paste the code in there and it works?

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hi @Adam Ballhaussen and @elamast ! Newbie here….if I convert my PowerPoint to HTML5 using the iSpring Converter Pro….I would upload that by clicking “add training material” within the course, and then in the create section selecting “HTML page”? Then just paste the code in there and it works?

You have several options with iSpring, depending on what level of tracking you need:

1. AICC
  2. SCORM
  3. xAPI/Tin Can
  4. HTML Page

The first three all offer some level of tracking of (optional) scores and (mandatory) completions.  AICC is the oldest standard and xAPI is the newest and most robust.  Here’s some more info on those standards:  https://www.ispringsolutions.com/blog/elearning-standards

In all three cases, iSpring will produce a Zip file of the output that you upload into Docebo as Training Material.

The wildcard is the HTML page. If you don’t need or want tracking beyond the item being viewed, you could output iSpring content to HTML5 and upload that content to any web server (not the LMS itself) that your students can access.  Then you would place some IFRAME embed code into the page (click on the “< >” button to directly enter code).  Here’s some test code you can try out:

<a href="https://lmsproject.s3.amazonaws.com/Docebo_Content/Courses/RalphTest/index.html" target="_blank">Open this presentation in a new browser tab/window</a></br><iframe src="https://lmsproject.s3.amazonaws.com/Docebo_Content/Courses/RalphTest/index.html" width="100%" height="90%"></iframe>

Ed

Userlevel 1

@elamast THANK YOU SO MUCH! I appreciate your assistance. I will give this a go!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@becca.crumb - can I ask if using a personal onedrive account is an option?

10 years ago Powerpoint came out with a revised web player that does just magical things - and preserves alot of your animations. If you allow onedrive to be one of the trusted sites? And you can leverage an HTML page to do an embed? Then you may be in business with minimal conversion.

Just because it is personal does not mean it is not secure.

If you go that route? There are some extra benefits - you change the PPT? you have changed it in the course - which feels like an amazing workflow that few can beat.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@becca.crumb- can I ask if using a personal onedrive account is an option?

10 years ago Powerpoint came out with a revised web player that does just magical things - and preserves alot of your animations. If you allow onedrive to be one of the trusted sites? And you can leverage an HTML page to do an embed? Then you may be in business with minimal conversion.

Here’s a sample done that way (paste it into the HTML page, code area):

<div><iframe src="https://meggerinstruments-my.sharepoint.com/:p:/g/personal/elamaster_megger_net/ETNVSuZ00k9EoN3DAmw1GI0BDmLwZaMVSTWG1uzPbXNDpg?e=fVnNwA?e=errDOn&amp;action=embedview&amp;wdStartOn=1'" width="900" height="500" frameborder="0">This is an embedded <a target="_blank" href="https://office.com" rel="noreferrer">Microsoft Office</a> document, powered by <a target="_blank" href="https://office.com/webapps" rel="noreferrer">Office Online</a>.</iframe></div>

My biggest problem with this method was getting the correct code out of OneDrive, and having it continue working on an ongoing basis.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

If you go that route? There are some extra benefits - you change the PPT? you have changed it in the course - which feels like an amazing workflow that few can beat.

FYI, this works on business OneDrive too, just dependent on your tenants policies controlled by IT (Its often off which is where this confusion often comes from.)

There was a similar thread on this topic yesterday though where the solution was to convert the PPT into a video, preserved all the animations and provides opportunity to add voice over and the user can’t download them. There is an export option for PPT to convert to an mp4 too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Here’s a sample done that way (paste it into the HTML page, code area):

<div><iframe src="https://meggerinstruments-my.sharepoint.com/:p:/g/personal/elamaster_megger_net/ETNVSuZ00k9EoN3DAmw1GI0BDmLwZaMVSTWG1uzPbXNDpg?e=fVnNwA?e=errDOn&amp;action=embedview&amp;wdStartOn=1'" width="900" height="500" frameborder="0">This is an embedded <a target="_blank" href="https://office.com" rel="noreferrer">Microsoft Office</a> document, powered by <a target="_blank" href="https://office.com/webapps" rel="noreferrer">Office Online</a>.</iframe></div>

My biggest problem with this method was getting the correct code out of OneDrive, and having it continue working on an ongoing basis.

Keeping the tone light? Getting the correct code out of a personal onedrive is as simple as:

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

When Microsoft went this route? It improved my “base course delivery model” with SMEs back in 2013. As a player? It is hard to beat Microsoft at their own game.

The only true limitation I ran into with this approach is file size can be somewhat limiting.

But if you have a file with a few hundred MBs? Maybe you should really be thinking of another approach.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Keeping the tone light? Getting the correct code out of a personal onedrive is as simple as:

Our problem is that we’re on a corporate Microsoft 365 subscription where some permissions are managed by corporate.  You’ll notice our OneDrive link is a bit unusual.  My thinking is that most folks who would use this solution won’t be allowed to use true personal OneDrive account by security policy. Instead they’ll be using corporate accounts with their “personal” documents, and the way to embed these is not straight-forward nor immune to IT messing with permissions.  You’ll note my link actually is a SharePoint link to a “personal” files location.

Truly personal OneDrive accounts *are* much easier to use, if you’re allowed to use them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

FYI, this works on business OneDrive too, just dependent on your tenants policies controlled by IT (Its often off which is where this confusion often comes from.)

There was a similar thread on this topic yesterday though where the solution was to convert the PPT into a video, preserved all the animations and provides opportunity to add voice over and the user can’t download them. There is an export option for PPT to convert to an mp4 too.

IMHO, I have sincere problems with converting PPT into MP4s because the medium potentially will be getting in the way. But that is me (take a look at all of the horrible youtube videos that have been generated like that to see what I mean).

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

IMHO, I have sincere problems with converting PPT into MP4s because the medium potentially will be getting in the way. But that is me (take a look at all of the horrible youtube videos that have been generated like that to see what I mean).

There are some tricks and ways to build with this in mind, used to run a support desk this way though so that when things changed, they just had to update screenshots on a slide, and republish instead of re-recording. Works pretty great though once you get used to it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Our problem is that we’re on a corporate Microsoft 365 subscription where some permissions are managed by corporate.  You’ll notice our OneDrive link is a bit unusual.  My thinking is that most folks who would use this solution won’t be allowed to use true personal OneDrive account by security policy. Instead they’ll be using corporate accounts with their “personal” documents, and the way to embed these is not straight-forward nor immune to IT messing with permissions.  You’ll note my link actually is a SharePoint link to a “personal” files location.

Truly personal OneDrive accounts *are* much easier to use, if you’re allowed to use them.

Agreed. The embed option requires corporates to allow full open public sharing, you are essentially creating a link and key that allows anyone anywhere to access the document. Few companies are ok with this, which is why there are very few corporate instances of offcie365 that allow the embed, it instantly disappears as soon as they toggle the sharing security slider down one level from completely open. Most block other file storage methods outside the official supported ones to avoid information leakage, so personal gets blocked. If the option is available to you though, it is pretty great.