User Enrollments and group assignments

• 12 May 2021
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hey everyone I was looking for some suggestions, best practices, or tips for how you use automation or APIs to classify your users into groups or branches while remaining accurate to your company org, or departments.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

hi @jsayers for some reason, my reply didn’t go through… Here it is once again :)

I cannot say much about APIs, as it is our IT department who handles that; however, I can give you a rough idea of how it works within our organisation.

Through the API, our internal database is being synchronized with Docebo on a regular basis. Whenever someone new joins the company, their user profile is being automatically created in Docebo. Using the Additional Fields in User Management, we’ve created user fields for their position, department, etc. - this information is also being filled out (and updated) automatically thanks to the API.

We’ve also manually created Automatic Groups in Docebo based on the same additional fields. Thanks to that, we can have a group for Human Resources that is based on the department name. Thanks to that, if someone joins the Human Resources department, this information will appear in their additional fields and they will be added to the group automatically.

If you want even more automation, you can also create Enrollment Rules. Those can be used to enroll users from specific groups to specific courses. I hope this helps :)

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hey everyone I was looking for some suggestions, best practices, or tips for how you use automation or APIs to classify your users into groups or branches while remaining accurate to your company org, or departments.

Hi @jsayers, we use the automation app to pull a report daily from our HR system that automatically updates new hires, terminations, or transfers and reflects appropriately in Docebo, then the additional fields will pick up at that point and input appropriate information. Example would be someone from Accounting moves to Marketing- report runs- updates Docebo- Additional field for marketing activates filtering said person to “Commercial Marketing” group- which activates enrollment rules for specific learning plan.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @jsayers, we use the automation app as well to pull a report daily from our HR system that includes our additional fields we have in Docebo that automatically adds new hires, terminations, updates existing employees in Docebo. In our additional fields we have created  are:  job title, department  name, city, state, country, job classification (non-exempt, exempt, supervisor, manager, director, etc.), worker category (full time, part time, seasonal, temp), is manager (yes/no), hire date, rehire date, termination date. The additional fields on an employee are automatically updated from the automation app that pulls a report daily from our HR system. 

We’ve also manually created Automatic Groups in Docebo based on the same additional fields. We have groups based on their job classification, worker category, department names and states. So if someone meets the criteria of an automatic group, they are added to that group.

We also created Enrollment Rules based on these Automatic Groups. So if someone new comes on board, it automatically assigns them our required training courses. Also if someone moves from one department to another or if someone job classification changes, it will automatically assign them spcific courses.

Then we have created Notifications, when the new user is setup on the Docebo platform, it automatically send them a welcome email with their username and password and where to find their assigned required training. We also have notifications going out on the 15th and 30th of each month to users to remind them to complete their required training. This is all automatically done.

I hope this helps!

Userlevel 2

Does your HR system have webhooks that can be sent when a new person leaves or enters a org? you should ingest those into a google sheet or use those to make the api call. like a mapping document. Or can you just send the HR Org or user group in a SAML exchange if you have SSO setup?