Question

Sequential navigation or training material prerequisites

• 27 June 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4

Hi!

Is there a best practice when it comes to either using the sequential navigation setup up for a course or setting the training materials as a prerequisite?

We have a course with several topics that are in SCORM packages. We want our learners to go through the parts in order so I selected the sequential navigation and then in the training materials area, I set the prerequisites (part 1 is the prereq for part 2, etc) but I think this is redundant. Any opinion on which is the better option for learner experience?

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

@isaal  - if you use the prerequisite option, when a learner hovers over a locked LO, it will tell them which one needs to be completed in order to move forward. Not sure if sequential does this? (We’ve only used PreReq). 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Have you looked into Learning Plans? That’s what we use to order our courses and set prereqs. 

Userlevel 4

@TaviaRitter Thanks for the reply! I just tried the sequential navigation option only for a course and it looks like it is similar with the prerequisites. It also states ‘prerequisites not met’ and the materials before it. It seems they are the same with setup. 

Userlevel 4

@steveninfinger thanks for the reply! I just looked at Learning Plans. We will probably use this in the future to put our courses in a curriculum but for the individual courses we have several topics/training materials for the module because they are such large files with the videos and content.