Skip to main content

Multiple course Creation via CVS

Is there a way in Docebo to create multiple courses at a time (via excel/cvs) ? And possible to upload the training Materials also ?

14 replies

No, I asked during our onboarding project last year. It would make my life so much easier if there was

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hello @Hazarath,

It’s possible to create multiple courses at once using the APIs. We use Workato to automate this process, but there are a number of other options. @Bfarkas created these API guides and I’m happy to share my process with you if that’s helpful. 

Best of luck,

Cat

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

We did the same using APIs to create a few hundred courses at once...There’s a lot of prep work and testing but it’s worth it in the end.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@lrnlab it really does take a lot of effort to set up, but is sooooo worth it in the end!

Hi, Thanks for your valuable replies. @smallc can you please share me the process what you have followed, it will really helpful for me to get some basic idea on how to proceed. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Hazarath sure! What we’ve managed to create is an automation that creates ILTs and their sessions. I’m stuck at the event step because Workato (the automation software I’m using) doesn’t have the ability to automate the Zoom integration. 

This is what is needed to create this automation:

• Automation software (I use Workato, but there are many others. @Bfarkas covers this in his API guides.
  • Docebo API Explorer: you must authenticate first. Here’s a Docebo’s article on APIs Authentication.
    • For courses, use: Learn/Course/Create a new course
    • For sessions, use: Course/Courses/Create a session in a course
  • Automation Recipes: I’m attaching screenshots of the course and session recipes we made in Workato. The logic can apply using any software.
  • 2 excel sheets: You need 1 for the course and 1 for the session.
    • The columns in your sheet should match the BODY SCHEMA in the API Explorer (screenshots attached). The BODY SCHEMA explains the different fields (columns in your spreadsheet) and notes which are optional. It matches the configurations on the front end, so it should be familiar. 
    • You’ll need to convert the sheet to CSV for the recipe. 

I hope this is helpful! It’s definitely not something that can be done in a day, and I wish you much success. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@lrnlab @smallc Can you recommend any methods for actually adding training materials during the process outlined by @Hazarath?  Such as “grabbing” a file from an S3 bucket, etc. including how you would edit a api endpoint to say “go to the S3 bucket and get the file” … I hope I’m making some sense here.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@KMallette I don’t see any way to add training materials to a course, but if you learn about one please let me know. You can create an e-learning using the same process I outlined above. Just put e-learning in the sheet and no need for a session. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@KMallette I don’t see any way to add training materials to a course, but if you learn about one please let me know. You can create an e-learning using the same process I outlined above. Just put e-learning in the sheet and no need for a session. 

Right… I do that part frequently. I know I’ve seen APIs from other applications “consume” data from a file, but I’m just not cracking how to do it with Docebo.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Right… I do that part frequently. I know I’ve seen APIs from other applications “consume” data from a file, but I’m just not cracking how to do it with Docebo.

Thanks!

From what I recall the materials need to be in a place that you can link to with a URL; like you would do for the thumbnails...I never actually used the API to load training materials as we used to create ILTs without content.

Think this is the API to use to batch import content but I but I never used it before.

https://doceboapi.docebosaas.com/api-browser/#!/learn/Lo/Lo_learn_v1_lo_batch

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Thanks!

From what I recall the materials need to be in a place that you can link to with a URL; like you would do for the thumbnails...I never actually used the API to load training materials as we used to create ILTs without content.

Think this is the API to use to batch import content but I but I never used it before.

https://doceboapi.docebosaas.com/api-browser/#!/learn/Lo/Lo_learn_v1_lo_batch

@lrnlab  That sure looks like the endpoint I saw somewhere here on the community!  Thank you!!!! I’ll give it a go soon.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@lrnlab great find! @KMallette please keep us updated on how it works. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Just wanted to share a tip for anyone creating e-learning courses in Docebo via the API.

If you plan on using any course widgets, be sure to make the first course manually, configure the widgets for that course, and then instead of calling Create a new Course...

POST /learn/v1/courses

...call Duplicate e-learning course (where {id} is the course ID of the course you want to duplicate):

POST /course/v1/courses/{id}/duplicate
{
"course_name": "string",
"duplicate_materials": false,
"duplicate_widgets": true,
"duplicate_enrollments": false
}

The reason for this is that there is no other way to add the widgets via the API, or otherwise in bulk. If you batch create 100 courses but don’t follow this approach, then to add e.g. a course description widget to every course you would have to manually edit each course, one at a time.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Ian that’s an awesome and useful tip! Thanks so much for sharing.