Question

Progress Bar

• 3 April 2024
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi,

Does anyone know if it’s possible to add a progress bar that illustrates progress in a learning to a page? We are creating a dedicated home page for new employees. This will be the home page that they see until they complete their onboarding tasks. The 90-day onboarding program has different learning plans for each 30 days, and users click an image to access each learning plan. We’d like to add a progress bar under each image. Or has anyone discovered a way to illustrate overall progress in multiple learning plans on a page?

Thank you.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi - no - but what a great idea. It would be great to see a learning plan progress as an alternative to the KPI view.

That said - the beauty of the platform is you do have options. For your consideration as a few sets of experiences:

• A person can be dropped off to pick up a learning plan that is tracking its own progress and shows a graphic.
  • You can list courses that are in progress with the Task Widget
  • You can use a catalog widget to show courses in progress
  • In theory the KPI Dashboard for newbies does show progress (kinda sorta)
  • If you want to really push it? You can create an experience where you change an image widget based on a group
    • The group can be set to “listen” for a completion of a course (not an LP - I know, I know)
    • You then send people to a new home page/menu based on getting into the new group that shows the next progress graphic...and so on...and so on...

All are doable. The approach can get crazy easily….so if you deploy multiple LPs, you probably want to listen to certain courses that are acting as a type of “end marker” for your LP (the last course in the LP in sequence).

Hope some of this rambling helps.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Thank you for the quick and thoughtful response.  I think your last bullet point is the option I am going to try.. I think it will work  until we can figure out how to include a working progress bar.

Userlevel 2

I also really like this idea of a visual on the homepage to track on-boarding for new employees. Following so I can see what creative ideas others share with this prompt. 😊

Userlevel 5
Badge

Have you tried the Course Status? We have it on our user’s homepages.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@cschmelzer - if you are willing to spend a weebit? I know a consulting team that is doing some fancy stuff and they have developed a type of widget that you iframe into the HTML widget. The fancy stuff is leveraging tokens so they know who the person is and you can leverage that to be a type of HTML / group sensitive widget. That brings the maintenance on the approach way way down.

DM me - I am happy to pass on the detail. 

Userlevel 5
Badge

Here you can see the Learning Plan list to the left, and the Progress in the center, then below that we have stacks of cards for courses not started, courses in progress, and completed courses.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@dwilburn - that is the KPI graphic I mentioned. It kinda of does it. Its a reasonable call for showing people progress and is on our front-page experience for non-managers. 

If they are in a pull scenario (where learners are pulling tons of content to them) or are mapped tons of courses, this graphic will sneak up on ya IF you are working with an onboarding series of learning.

We really need that graphic to be in context to be its most powerful. Like we map an LP to it (or LPs or courses to it to be measured).

Userlevel 5
Badge

@dklinger - I completely understand. It would be nice if there were more choices and more configurability. Percentage complete on LPs and such.

Hopefully Insights will bring some useful and FREE capabilities to the table.