Best Answer

Use same link for page across multiple domains?

• 5 October 2023
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 3

@steveninfinger it was great to see your presentation at Docebo Inspire! That is how I heard about this awesome group. I can’t wait to learn more from you all. :)

I have a question about making a set of pages navigable across domains.

The user’s experience of the page would be tailored depending on their domain. For example, customer domain users will see different catalogs on the pages than employee users.

How do you approach navigation and link sharing in a scenario like this? I have found that I can use relative links with widgets to get users where they need to go without including /employee in the URL, but I have not found a way to return them back to the main page without fully spelling out the URL, including /employee in the domain. A link like that wouldn’t work for someone who isn’t in the /employee domain.

Should I be building pages unique to their domain to avoid the link and navigation complexities? This sounds like a lot of extra work and redundancy that will be difficult to manage.

I’d love to hear any ideas on the topic. Let me know if you’ve worked on a similar use case. Thanks!

Kristen

icon

Best answer by lrnlab 5 October 2023, 20:11

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi, @kfortenb In my experience with EE, you need to have pages for each domains. You can certainly duplicate pages so that you get the same sort of look/feel/widgets, etc. but for the reasons that you mention, you can’t really use one page for multiple domains. Naming the pages/menus clearly goes a long way to helping with the administration of those pages, and after you get it set up, it really isn’t a lot to administer (imho).

One of the scenarios that we’ve had is users who were assigned originally to Domain A, but then would need the learning experience from Domain B because their jobs changed. But those jobs could easily change back to Domain A. In other words, we need a learning experience that supported both domains. We tried a variety of approaches, but in the end, we decided that the best approach for us was to move the users between the domains as needed. We used additional fields to help collect these particular users.

Hope that helps… and welcome to the community!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If you're launching to a common page from different domains, just remove the domain part from your links…

https://xxxxxxxxx.docebosaas.com/course/manage

becomes: /course/manage

This will keep the user in their domain but allow them access to the page. You may need to create a “hidden menu” to allow access to those pages across domains

https://community.docebo.com/product%2Dtips%2Dtricks%2D3/the%2Dpower%2Dof%2Dhidden%2Dpages%2D270

Userlevel 3

Thank you @KMallette and @lrnlab for your replies!

That’s good to know about your experience using separate pages, @KMallette. Thank you for sharing that!

@lrnlab I have had some good luck using that technique to keep a user within their domain while navigating across pages. Do you know if there is a way to use a relative link to navigate back to the original page? I can use a relative link to go “down” a level, but not to get back “up” a level. That prevents me from using the page across multiple domains.

For example, I have “parent” page 1, and “child” pages 1a, 1b, 1c. I start at this page:

https://xxxxxxxxx.docebosaas.com/[domain]/page1

Then use this relative ink and hidden menu to navigate to page 1a:

/page1a

Can I still navigate back to page1 using a relative link, or do I have to spell out the URL fully?

Thanks for your time! - Kristen

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

not sure @kfortenb you would need to try it out...hard to say without seeing your actual set-up 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

welcome to the party, @kfortenb! Not sure if this is 100%helpful but one of my co-workers put in this idea and we learned it will be a part of an upcoming release. 

Userlevel 2

Hi all, Giulio here from Docebo’s product team.
Docebo’s product team is gathering your thoughts and feedback on improving the Learning Experience (Pages & Menus) creation & management process.

Please take this survey to tell us about your needs, priorities, and challenges in creating and managing Learning Experiences.

The original Feedback request is on this page:

Thanks!

Userlevel 3
Badge

I have a twist on using links. We have a Rise course we want to provide access to across domains. However, our content team wants to also have a button in the course to take them to a different course (exam). Has anyone used relative links for that? We tried but we still get errors.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@tonya.clark are you trying to send them to a course they have access to in a catalogue? Why the relative link? I think if you're trying to get a relative link to work from inside a SCORM object you might need to try to spawn a new tab; opening from inside may the cause of your issue...have you tried that?

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

We are looking into Extended Enterprise, thanks for sharing.