Skip to main content

We found that discontinued courses are still accessible through Global Search where we are able to enroll users whereas it is found to be locked from the learning page which is the correct behavior. Any idea on why there are inconsistencies with respect to discontinued courses being accessible through Global Search.

We have also noticed this. 

That sounds like a bug. Have you submitted a support ticket?

Can you specify what you mean by discontinued? As far as I know, there is no way to fully retire a course, a major issue for many Docebo users (see below).

Can you specify what you mean by discontinued?

You beat me to it...

I’m not sure I have enough context, but… have you removed those courses from the catalogue where they live? (We set up a hidden catalogue in which we pull all our courses to give access to everyone without it being part of their user menu. To remove courses from being located in search, we also have to remove them from the catalogue where they sit for user access.)

we disabled global search because it ignored things like visibility, and built a catalog page for searching that does recognize visibility set in the catalog.

Are you testing this by using the global search as a Superadmin? Or are you logging in as a user? We thought this was happening but realized it’s because as Superadmins, we can see it all. If we logged in as a user, the courses didn’t show up. 

You will need to unassign it from any catalogs that gave the course visibility as well.

This is intended, for whatever reason. We’ve changed our process for old courses to this:

1. Unpublish the course
  2. Archive enrollment
  3. Remove from catalogs/learning plans

This usually solves for this while also keeping all necessary data.

Was going to say, if the users have active enrolments in the discontinued courses, they will continue to appear in the search results. Archiving is probably your bets option if you are ok with the limitations of it.

Similar to what others above have said, any course that a learner has access to will show in the search. So, if the course is in a catalog the learner can see, or the learner is enrolled to the course, it will show. We archive our “discontinued” courses by changing the title/code and putting them Under Maintenance, and then putting them in their own “Archived” category & catalog. We remove them from any other catalogs / learning plans so learners can’t search for them, and we archive enrollments for anyone “in progress” or “not started” so they can’t see the course in their transcript / global search but we still have record that they were enrolled. Hope that helps!