Question

Is it possible to enroll a learner to an ILT course, and automatically have them enrolled into every included Session?

Hello, my company has been using Docebo for about two years now and we’ve recently made the transition from Webinar courses to ILT courses. We’re using a single ILT course to host weekly Q&A sessions for our trainees. This ILT course currently contains 21 sessions, each representing an individual topic of discussion. Within each of these sessions are events corresponding to the different meeting occurrences (dates/times) for that topic.

We’re running into a bit of an issue because we are used to enrolling learners at the Course and Learning Plan level. When we enroll learners into this ILT course we expect that they would also be enrolled into all of the sessions within the course. Unfortunately this is not the case. We have to go into the course enrollments and manually enroll each learner into the included sessions as well. This has become a tedious process, but we’ve dealt with it. The larger issue is as we start to enroll more and more people into this course, or add more sessions to the course, this task is going to balloon very quickly. Unfortunately the enrollment rules in Docebo only allow for enrollment into a learning plan or a course, not a session, so I was not able to achieve my goal that way.

So my overall question is - Is it possible to enroll a learner to an ILT course, and automatically have them enrolled into every included Session?

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hmm. This seems counter to the current docebo session management methodology(which in itself is an issue) since they really have it setup to basically be in one session at a time. Are you doing the enrolling? Can you just make a large CSV file that basically enrolls into all the sessions when you enroll instead of just one or are you having them choose?

I’m trying to map out in my head if the si file session for multiple types is the best way to go with the current setup of these in docebo. My initial reaction halfway through reading was that the courses should probably be the topic and then session for different occurrences of it with probably a 1-1 relationship of the events themeselves. If using LP’s then they just need to pick the right timed session but that still doesn’t really solve what you are doing. 

I think some more info on how you are enrolling/expecting them to pick sessions would help clarify the best path forward. 

I appreciate the quick reply! This is a mixture of manual enrollment (for purchases made outside of the system) and catalog purchases (this ILT course is part of a larger Learning Plan). Ultimately we don’t want the user to have to pick at all, but automatically have the ability to join any of the Q&A chats as they please. Currently these users end up enrolled, whether it was manual or their purchase, but they cannot see any sessions except the first.

With that being said we could restructure everything to have 1 course per topic with 1 session included, but my main concern here would be that we want to repeat these sessions multiple times throughout the year. This would push us to an approach of having 1 course per topic, with 1 session, and many events for that session. If users can return to a session after the fact, and attend additional events, this shouldn’t be a problem. But I have a hunch that users may have issues returning to a session after already completing 1 event within.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi good people.

I believe the challenge you are going to find is you cant auto-enroll into a session as of yet.

You can enroll a person into a course with enrollment rules. But it is on the person to enroll themselves into a session.

Please school me if I am wrong. 😀

Userlevel 4

As others have said, I don’t think you can auto-enroll into a session. That said, one thing that might help is to structure the course so that you convert the 21 sessions to events within a single session. That way, folks can choose the event series (session) that they want to enroll in and only have to enroll in one session (as opposed to 21).

As I understand it, the docebo framework for ILT/VILTs is to use sessions as containers for repeatable courses. Say you have a 4-week course that meets weekly and you run it every quarter. You would create a course with 1 session each quarter. Each session would have 4 events in it. Users would enroll in the session that best meets their schedule.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

So I think you are going to hit a few walls of “built in” docebo limitations with this:

1. As others have said, there is no technical auto-enrollment for sessions, the closest you get to is a CSV upload to enroll or using the api. 
  2. Until they roll out improvements for re-taking courses easier, you need to keep in mind there’s really a 1-1 relationship for completing session to completing course which makes it tough for users to come back to and take more. 
  3. Although there’s ways around it, as designed right now users are supposed to be enrolled in one session per course so it gets tricky to be requiring them to be in all sessions simultaneously. I have gotten around that with api, but officially it is not supposed to work and it could break anytime as a result. 
  4. you can set multiple events per session and then the users get auto-enrolled to the events and you can set the minimum number of events to attend to complete the session and by extension the course, but you can’t control exactly which ones so you could run into issues with those being topics if they don’t need them all. 

The only way I can think of to get to your desired result paragraph above would be a custom solution using the api whereby when a user registers/purchases they are put into say a learning plan that has all the courses which are the topics. A webhook could be triggered off this enrollment to run some api’s to gather all the upcoming sessions across courses and then enroll them, but this would require a bit of programming. 

might be a good thing to make an idea posting for the long run to have an iLT setting to auto enroll user into next available session when enrolled in a course. 

Since there’s often a 1-1 relationship for session/course it seems to me it would make sense to have the option to automatically enroll users to the session when there is only 1 event.

Userlevel 5
Badge

@DSPLW I absolutely share your pain. We too operate in similar circumstances, when a company purchases one of our programs with 4 x live sessions (that they pick the time and date), I go ahead and build each ILT with a session & event (so all four show up on the learners’ calendars). However, I have to constantly remember that even though there’s an enrollment rule set up that this group belongs to the 4 ILT’s I still MUST then manually enroll them. 

I don’t know why there isn’t the ability for us to switch a toggle that’ll automatically put the client’s learners into the live sessions that the client requested. My archaic working solution is a large yellow sticky note that says, AFTER YOU UPLOAD USERS, DON’T FORGET TO PUT THEM IN THEIR ILT’S!

: ( 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Since there’s often a 1-1 relationship for session/course it seems to me it would make sense to have the option to automatically enroll users to the session when there is only 1 event.

I don’t think the base assumption here is true for all clients (and would wager actually not a majority) who do many sessions per course, but maybe and often one event per session.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@DSPLW I absolutely share your pain. We too operate in similar circumstances, when a company purchases one of our programs with 4 x live sessions (that they pick the time and date), I go ahead and build each ILT with a session & event (so all four show up on the learners’ calendars). However, I have to constantly remember that even though there’s an enrollment rule set up that this group belongs to the 4 ILT’s I still MUST then manually enroll them. 

I don’t know why there isn’t the ability for us to switch a toggle that’ll automatically put the client’s learners into the live sessions that the client requested. My archaic working solution is a large yellow sticky note that says, AFTER YOU UPLOAD USERS, DON’T FORGET TO PUT THEM IN THEIR ILT’S!

: ( 

Seems like the current infrastructure for ILT and VILTs is missing this scenario completely, as you don’t seem to need any of the session/event infrastructure. 

If you have to keep working this way, might be worth either seeing if your IT area or a contractor can make you a simple tool for this, since I think it would be a pretty large reworking of the current structure to get to a flow for this scenario.

Userlevel 5
Badge

@Bfarkas 

I didn’t know that this was possible. Is what you’re saying is that we could hire someone to create CSS code so that uploaded users who are allocated to an ILT that they’re automatically enrolled? Is that the right way to express what I need? Do you think it’d be complicated to do and expensive? Any guestimates on cost?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@Bfarkas

I didn’t know that this was possible. Is what you’re saying is that we could hire someone to create CSS code so that uploaded users who are allocated to an ILT that they’re automatically enrolled? Is that the right way to express what I need? Do you think it’d be complicated to do and expensive? Any guestimates on cost?

Not CSS, CSS is just about looks and style. You would need to use the API to accomplish this and create some type of application that manages the process. It would vary widely as to how much you want it to do and the approach taken to accomplish it.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

It’s been a year. Anyone found any solutions to this? I find the whole ILT/Session/Event relationship frustrating. 

I 100% understand the logic when you have multiple sessions or sessions that meet multiple times,In that respect ILT works very well.

But we do 26 one and done webinars a year where learners can either attend live or Watch the recording and having to create the ILT and then a session and then an event in the session for 1 webinar is cumbersome. Why do I need both a session and an event when there is only a single meeting?

Worse is that a learner can self enroll in the ILT but then has to enroll in the session. and that is a counterintuitive process. Why doesn’t the learner get the same opton an instructor sees when enrolling a learner to choose at time of enrollment. Also  Why do they have to enroll twice if there is only one session in the ILT?

Lastly if a learner tries to enroll after the live portion has happened so that they can watch the recording, they can’t see the session because it is in the past BUT if they enrolled before it happened they can see the session forever 

Ideally the system should be smart enough to do this automatically if there is only one session OR you should be able to add an event as a training material to a class.

thank you for letting me rant