Question

Wild Card SSL Certificate

• 29 March 2022
  • 4 replies

Hello Docebo Community!

This is my first ever post… new customer.  Does anyone know if we are able to utilize a wild card SSL certificate with our custom domain, or if I need to procure something specific to work with our environment which includes a sub domain?

4 replies

Userlevel 4

Welcome! We just set up 2 custom domains and neither were using wild card SSL certificates. I ended up setting up a Zoom meeting with my group, our Docebo rep, and our IT department who handles all security at our company to work through all the steps as it’s outside the scope of my position to do so, especially for the security issues, our integrations with SAML, etc.

Docebo was ready to help and it went smoothly, once everyone understood what we were trying to do ;)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Welcome, @thegaberichter

The way Trish did it was very smart, and I’d recommend doing the same. Unfortunately, we did not do it that way, and it’s been a pain point for about 4 months. We have 6 domains and the SSL certs were created and uploaded at different times, so that’s causes some confusion. One of the original certs was a wildcard but Docebo wants a wildcard with the password, and my company felt like giving that password caused security concerns. Taking the cert back out has led to multiple levels of work for Docebo support to manually push through and resolve. I can say if there are issues with the cert you will have issues with accessing and/or completing content, so it’s best to get it right the first time. 

Userlevel 2

Hi @thegaberichter.  I’m not going to profess to being an expert in this, but we have a wildcard certificate on our custom domain and we also have many subdomains.  The certificate applies to all of them.  The process went pretty well.

The only issue in the past 3 years has been when something broke in Docebo and the whole lot refused to work.  I never found out what caused this, but if you know the Extended Enterprise option for enabling https, and you noticed that it changed about 2 years ago - that was me.  The team in Italy were really good at responding to this and solving it and since then we've had no issues.

Paul

Userlevel 4

As @steveninfinger alluded, our IT would not allow the wildcard setup and refused to the Docebo people set it up that way due to their security concerns. Docebo was helpful in setting it up without the wildcard, and they explained that they wildcard method is suggested is because it is ‘easier’ but it is not the only way to do it.

I recommend reaching out to them for help. I went through the help desk and cc’d my Docebo rep and it all went smoothly.