Question

Hosting iframe files within Docebo

• 6 September 2021
  • 8 replies

Hey everyone,

I’m wondering if anyone here uses iframes and if you do, where do you host external files?

Currently we have a rotating carousel image banners, with the images being hosted from another server. I was thinking if there are options or workaround for hosting the files within Docebo rather than pulling the urls from another server?

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

You can use the HTML widget to have Docebo host images. If you go to the WYSIWYG editor and click the option to upload an image, you can select the image and thenit will give the hosted image URL which can be used elsewhere on the site. Quick video demoing the process here.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@nick.tosto did something change over the past year or so with regards to this? We tested it a couple of years back and after a couple of days the url changed in the backend. It’s been long enough that I forget the details but it could have been that we used the HTML widget to upload the image, grab the URL, then didn’t publish the widget (the purpose was solely to get the img onto the server to then call in elsewhere). 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@mark There are some places in the platform that generate timestamped URLs but I believe that if you use HTML widget in the way that I mentioned, the URL should stay valid indefinitely. You should not have to publish the HTML widget in order to get it to work either. I have some image URLs that have been working for at least 2 years without any issue.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Because there isn’t currently a SCORM widget for ILT courses, we currently use an HTML “training material” type with an IFRAME.  We don’t need to score these presentations, so it works OK. Our IFRAMEs point to an AWS bucket for hosting.  Cloudberry Explorer is used to manage the uploads and URLs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@elamast - I would love to hear more about the approach. Can I ask you - why not leverage a learning plan?

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@elamast - I would love to hear more about the approach. Can I ask you - why not leverage a learning plan?

Almost all of our courses are for sale.  We use learning plans for selling bundled SCORM modules as one course (LP). All of our ILTs are currently stand-alone courses that are individually sold.

I supposed it could be possible to bundle ILTs and eLearning courses into LPs and then sell the LPs, but there is no reason to do so in our use case.  By taking our interactive PPTs and converting them with iSpring Presenter, we can keep the animations, videos, etc. and not worry about SCORM at all. Inside the HTML box we put the following code: <iframe src="URL_TO_THE_CONTENT_ON_AWS" width="100%" height="90%"></iframe> and everything works as intended.

In our particular use case we also don’t want the PPTs to be scorable objects because we are using Docebo to average the score of a final exam and a lab.  Adding a SCORM module would complicate this. 

By the way, the lab was a whole other nut to crack since we needed the instructor to generate the score and not the student.  I’ll probably post on how we worked around that problem in a separate posting.

Userlevel 3

I created a rotating banner built on a Bootstrap foundation with each image hyperlinked to any page, course, channel, etc… I desire to highlight. It will pause on hover and also on click of nav buttons you can manually cycle through images with arrow keys. All integrated via iFrame widget.

Userlevel 3

Below is a sample of the banner with rotation of 6 images all with hyperlinks.

Banner Sample