Monetizing Content

• 18 August 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello all,

We are working towards monetizing our content.  Our content is delivered both in e-learning and ILT modes. Currently the content is freely available to our audience (we are a startup).   

I have been reading a few threads and it seems the way (possibly the only way) to go is to make use of the e-commerce app but there are gaps; e.g. managing payments outside Docebo.

I would personally prefer to manage such payments outside the LMS.  Having prior experience with other LMSs, I am thinking credits here; not Docebo’s continuing education credits that had me briefly confused but credits as a form of alternate payment to buy courses, allocated as part of contract/licence etc.  Credits are then updated in the LMS for groups/branches of users and they can collectively use such credits to purchase content.

We are considering the Subscription Codes app but the implementation/support seems a bit rudimentary; I don’t see any API support and I don’t even see UI support in downloading logs/used codes.

Any experience on monetizing content,  any processes or best-practices you followed, or any suggestions are welcome.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Have you considered “part numbering” your courses?

The idea would be that folks purchase courses via your normal sales process outside of Docebo using a part number or however you handle transactions. At that point, LMS admin will issue a coupon code for 100% discount. Customer logs in, selects course from the catalog, and uses coupon to gain access.

Depending on your volume - this might be a good way to start.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thank you Greg!

Yes we have considered your suggestion but we still need to setup a Payment Gateway because the checkout wizard does not let us past the third step.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

You mean the payment and billing part?

We enable the Wire Transfer and used the localization tool to change the wording to Purchase Order.

We then just go in and approve the transactions. No gateway needed.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I did not try the Wire Transfer, I ‘ll give it a try.  Thank you!