Skip to main content
Question

Automatic Removal from a Group

• 3 July 2024
  • 6 replies

Hello

We are automatically adding users to a new group based on completing a specific learning plan. When they are in the new group, they will see a new home page. This works very well. However, we also want to automatically remove users from the previous group. Docebo help indicates:

We are unable to determine how to configure the conditions that will automatically remove users from the previous group. Has anyone done this? If yes, how was it done?

Thank you,

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@cschmelzer This somewhat depends on how they are getting added to the group.

In my platform, I use Additional Fields that contain some key piece of info, and then I build the group to watch that value. When the value is true, then the associated dashboard gets used.  But when I change that value, then the dashboard changes. Additional Fields can be managed either via batch .csv or API-browser, so it is somewhat manageable day-to-day.

If you are using branches, the same would be true … the automatic group uses the branch assignment to put them into the group, and when they are no longer in the branch, they aren’t in the group. Docebo does not recommend moving users between branches frequently, and using branches to organize learning (vs. just using them to organize users) can be problematical.

Since you are using learning plans, this is more difficult.  You’d need to have a method for removing them from the learning plan. When I need to remove someone from a learning plan, yet still track their completion of that learning plan, I create a ‘dummy’ equivalent course and complete that course before removing the learner from the learning plan. This can be challenging to maintain over the long haul, but I use an API setup to move completed learners on a weekly basis.

Happy to discuss further if you’d like.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi,

Thank you for your response. We are using course completion status to move users from one group to another. Because we are assigning learning plans, that means a user must complete all courses within a learning plan to move into another group. 

We are using this to automate our new employee onboarding, and it works perfectly until the end when we want to send the new hires to the team’s home page versus the onboarding home pages which they see throughout the 90-day program. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@cschmelzer Hi, Cheryl

That sounds like a perfect place for an additional field. Use the additional field to say “done”, and then create a new dashboard (menu & page) with the visibility of the “done” group for the menu. Just make sure that this dashboard is higher in the order of menus than the one used for onboarding. This way the platform will cascade the user thru the list of menus (when they are signing in), and find them in the “done” group and display that dashboard.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi

Thank you. I had created an additional field, I named it onboarding done.  But, I am unable to determine how that field could be auto populated after a user completes the final course. 

Entering that value manually would be difficult as we have many teams with different onboarding plans for new hires. I guess we could have a notification sent to us (admins) when a user completes the final course, and then we can populate the field.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@cschmelzer Updating Additional fields isn’t automatic, unfortunately. You’d need to pull a periodic User-LP report (daily/weekly), that contains

• Username
  • LP name (and/or code)
  • Complete Date - sort by this column with the newest dates on top
  • Completion Percentage
  • Onboarding Done

When there are new additions on the report create a spreadsheet uploading that could look like this:

• Username
  • Onboading Done = yes  (assuming that your field is a yes/no field)

Use the User > Import/Manage CSV button to upload the spreadsheet into your accounts.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Thank you!