Best Answer

Deeplink enrollment?

Hi there, Docebo noob here - I am tasked with creating Deeplinks for a course that ideally will automatically enroll providers in the course when they click on said deeplink. Right now while I’m trying to test them, I am getting a 404 error.

Are there any special enrollment rules I need to add to the course in order for a Deeplink to enroll a learner in the course? Will sending a link to one of our learners automatically enroll them in the course? Is there anything else about Deeplinking I should know or other helpful resources I can reference?

Thanks in advance!!

Madison

icon

Best answer by Bfarkas 23 June 2022, 17:55

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Where are you getting your link from? If it is just the browser bar, just avoid that :)

For what you are looking for you want an enrollment link, go to the course, in it’s properties on the enrollmnet tab at the bottom, check the box and copy the special link:

Heres a support article on more of it:

Managing Course Enrollment Links – Docebo Help & Support

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

On the back of this, we were told that links would only work if that person had visibility of the catalogue that the course sits in.  Can’t see anything about that in the support article that @Bfarkas posted above, so now I’m doubting myself, but this may be worth checking?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

On the back of this, we were told that links would only work if that person had visibility of the catalogue that the course sits in.  Can’t see anything about that in the support article that @Bfarkas posted above, so now I’m doubting myself, but this may be worth checking?

Interesting, never ran into that as an issue and use them pretty regularly, might need to explicitly test I guess. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@Bfarkas @Neil Patterson  We found that the behaviour of enrolment links seemed to change a few months ago - possibly around the time of the Course Properties interface upgrade.

The tech support person advised that if the Course visibility is set to “Show course only to enrolled users”, the enrolment link won’t work. Sure enough, when we changed this setting to one of the other options, the links started working again. On balance, I think this is a good thing!

I can’t say whether any of the other settings in the catalogue options have any effect.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Ah, interesting, good tip! Thanks @Alan 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There is an advanced setting in the platform that will also impact the ability for someone to use an enrollment link based on course visibility.

From the Admin Menu, go to Advanced Settings, and click on the Advanced option.  Scroll down the page, and near the bottom of options is this one: 

This option will allow users to be enrolled into a course as long as they have the enrollment link, regardless of the catalog the course is in.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

There is an advanced setting in the platform that will also impact the ability for someone to use an enrollment link based on course visibility.

From the Admin Menu, go to Advanced Settings, and click on the Advanced option.  Scroll down the page, and near the bottom of options is this one: 

This option will allow users to be enrolled into a course as long as they have the enrollment link, regardless of the catalog the course is in.

Ha, indeed, it’s almost like having multiple settings related to the same function in various places leads to confusion….

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

There is alot of work going in around this - and a few best practices types of articles on this.

Where @Annarose.Peterson and @Bfarkas are landing is what we share and it essentially autoenrolls them.

There may be a caveat or two with that approach for some workflows.

BUT if you do not go with that route? Then I think being cognizant of what you are linking to becomes critical because of permissions needing to be right.

I hate to say it - but we were getting so bothered about this? That I went about sharing page with a catalog widget on it to teams. 

Wow thank you so much everyone for the replies! I will definitely do some testing and see what works for us. I noticed the enrollment link option when I was poking around the other day but wasn’t sure how it worked compared to Deeplinking. It does seem like you already have to be enrolled in the course for our deeplinks to work, otherwise we’d probably just need to use the auto-enroll link…..which sort of defeats the purpose of deeplinking, I think :p will update after I’ve done testing!

Where are you getting your link from? If it is just the browser bar, just avoid that :)

For what you are looking for you want an enrollment link, go to the course, in it’s properties on the enrollmnet tab at the bottom, check the box and copy the special link:

Thank you! Right now I’m using this sort of link: 

https://portal.sondermind.com/sondermind_university?deeplink=RELATIVE_PATH_IN_DOCEBO e.g. https://portal.sondermind.com/sondermind_university?deeplink=/learn/course/42/play/270/course-description

So definitely coming from the browser URL, in a way, if that’s what you mean :) Essentially we want the Deeplinks to trigger SSO and enroll the learner in the course immediately, but starting to sound like perhaps that isn’t possible unless we use the enrollment link? I’ll check out that article now!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thank you! Right now I’m using this sort of link: 

https://portal.sondermind.com/sondermind_university?deeplink=RELATIVE_PATH_IN_DOCEBO e.g. https://portal.sondermind.com/sondermind_university?deeplink=/learn/course/42/play/270/course-description

So definitely coming from the browser URL, in a way, if that’s what you mean :) Essentially we want the Deeplinks to trigger SSO and enroll the learner in the course immediately, but starting to sound like perhaps that isn’t possible unless we use the enrollment link? I’ll check out that article now!

Yeah sounds like enrollment link and getting the right settings is what you need. Any deep link or straight from browser bar require user to already have access and also don’t always work, make sure to heavily heavily heavily test those before using.