Report Field name changes - yet again !

• 4 October 2023
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I see there are several changes to field names in reports, and I cannot find any warnings or notifications that this was to happen. (Please correct me if I missed it)

It may seem trivial, but we use report CSVs directly into Power BI and changing anything in the field names causes the DAX and Power Queries to fail.

example “Branches” changed to “Branch path” and there were several others! 

This causes significant delays and cost in reporting to our customers.

Please in future make it clear, well ahead of time, that field names will change. 

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hi @Gary Jarvis, and thank you for bringing up your concern! I would like to ask, for clarity, where you are seeing this change. Is this in New Reports or the Automation App?

Additionally, if you could provide screenshots, this would be a great help! We have not seen other reports of this yet, and would like to investigate this issue for you.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

It is in new reports

lets take one example: the field name in the CSV was “Branches” now it has changed to “Branch path”

Old

New

and there are several other fields effected

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@elliott.vickrey We are also affected by this issue. The alterations to field names in our reports have affected the transaction reports we send to Netsuite for accounting purposes. Unfortunately, we were unaware of these changes, leading to reports with missing data. This marks the second occurrence of such an issue impacting our reports. It would greatly benefit us if we could receive notifications about any field name changes in the reports, allowing us to take necessary precautions to prevent these changes from affecting our reports in the future.

Please see the recent field change below:

• Discount to Transaction Discount
  • Price to Item Price
  • Total Price to Total Transaction Price

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I can confirm that this is negatively impacting our data feeds to our customers and partners as well.  Advance notice of changes to fields names in reporting is absolutely necessary to avoid this.  We have to reset all of our Power BI fields to align.

Userlevel 2

@neil.kremer FYI

We raised this internally.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Yikes…changes to reports definitely need to be reported almost like changes to APIs with the alerts and notice in advance. So many people leverage them similarly and build complex business processes off of them. Some can abstract out the titles into their own, but not everyone has those tools plus it then makes every report use a more complex setup. 

Userlevel 2

The product owner confirmed there will be no more changes without a previous notification (similar to what we do with the API’s). I hope this helps, and we apologize for any inconvenience.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thanks @rani.alsous 

Userlevel 3

@rani.alsous thank you for the update.

The branch field name change has impacted our reporting as well. All queries that rely on that field must be manually updated. The Salesforce synchronization could also be impacted by a branch field change,  I need to investigate to confirm. API calls are another risk. “Branch” touches many aspects of our systems and teams, so it is crucial to have that information communicated in advance to avoid disruption.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The product owner confirmed there will be no more changes without a previous notification (similar to what we do with the API’s). I hope this helps, and we apologize for any inconvenience.

Can we please have a complete list of all field name changers that were made?

@rani.alsous - I have the same ask as above. Can you please provide a complete list of all field name changes that were made?

Thanks

Userlevel 2

Hello everybody, I’ve already requested the information internally, and I will provide updates in this thread, as soon as I have any news.