Best Answer

Looking for Skills information and examples

• 6 September 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I am being asked to create a new tracking, measurement and reporting component in our LMS that sounds very much like skills. I am going through Docebo University and the forums and finding myself with more questions than answers. Does anyone have any examples or resources they can share?

Thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by JKolodner 26 September 2023, 21:00

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

What are you looking for exactly?

Skills are like competencies...you attach skills to a course and once the user self-assesses their skills and skills levels, related content will be recommended. As the user completes these courses, they will be able to justify a level increase in their skill levels, and so on. Managers also have a line of sight into their their teams’ overall skills as well as for each user and can also recommend courses.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Davefox - good morning. Skills inside of Docebo are gaining some maturity.But IMHO, I think you are going to struggle with mapping competencies until the containership gains some of the maturity as well.

Training Material > Courses/LPs (Curriculum) > Skills > Competencies needs to be the story for it to relate better to real world scenarios. And why? Because it is the set of skills that a person has that shows that they have completed towards a measure of “competence”. To quote the US gov’t,

“Competencies are the knowledge, skills, abilities, and behaviors that contribute to individual and organizational performance.  Knowledge is information developed or learned through experience, study or investigation.  Skill is the result of repeatedly applying knowledge or ability.  Ability is an innate potential to perform mental and physical actions or tasks.  Behavior is the observable reaction of an individual to a certain situation.  The target proficiency level for each competency will vary based on an individual’s position and the organization’s needs.”

Current state, there are skills tagging and you can do a skills gap analysis….but what will (continue to) feel awkward is that one component of containership that is sewed up. Once that is brought to the table, we can take a serious pause and figure out a winning use case.

To be fair, this has been called out as a multiphase rollout….and they just upped the anti on skills recently. So my hopes is that the containership will come sooner rather than later.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Thanks. We are just starting to look at ways to roll this out and I am trying to wrap my head around what we want vs. what Docebo offers/weill offer by program launch. 

If you have used it, I’d love to know where there be dragons. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

What are you looking for exactly?

Skills are like competencies...you attach skills to a course and once the user self-assesses their skills and skills levels, related content will be recommended. As the user completes these courses, they will be able to justify a level increase in their skill levels, and so on. Managers also have a line of sight into their their teams’ overall skills as well as for each user and can also recommend courses.

Thanks. FWIW we are not using managers yet. I am looking to determine the workflow around creating it and to see what it looks like from a reproting and user level to see if it will work for us. 

It looks good on paper, but….

Userlevel 5
Badge

@Davefox - We are starting to roll out My Skills, the Skills Dashboard, and the My Skills portion of My Teams (for managers), and I’m happy to share some advice:

1. Initially, we were seeing a lot of random skills being “recommended” to us which was confusing. The best thing we could do was turn off the My Skills (essentially All Skills) skill set on the Skills Management page. This ensured that skills that have nothing to do with our industry or our accepted terminology did not appear in the mix.
  2. Then we had our stakeholders come together and identify the names of skill sets they would need, and the skills that would be part of those skill sets. Then we populated each skill set so that it met our needs. We had to create a number of custom skills to fill the skill sets, but the platform actually contains a good number of useable skills as well. We ensured that these edited skill sets were active.
  3. Our next step was to have our stakeholders go back into their courses and ensure that their new skills terms were associated with the proper courses. This ensures that when someone goes through the My Skills wizard and selects their job title>skills>competency levels, they will then see recommendations that meet their skill development needs.

NOTES:

-- It appears that SuperAdmins still get skills recommended to us that come from the My Skills master skill set. As a result, we do our testing using the “Log In As” (proxy) feature to see what the skills recommendations look like to others. What we SuperAdmins see isn’t necessarily what others see in this respect.

-- For the course recommendations to actually happen, you’ll need to make sure the individual has visibility into content by making sure the catalogs are available to their branch/group/etc. Otherwise the recommendations My Skills page will be empty of content.

-- Setting up My Skills can get a bit confusing as there are too many places where the term “My Skills” is used and they often mean different things. For example:

1. On the Skills Management page, My Skills is the “master” skill set including all of the skills in the platform and your custom skills as well.
  2. On the User menu, the My Skills section refers to the course recommendation screen learners see at the end of the aforementioned wizard process.
  3. In the learner’s profile, My Skills refers to the overview of the selected job title and related skills. This is referred to on the Skills Dashboard as “Your Skills.” 
  4. You get the picture.

Please let me know if you need me to clarify anything. Good luck!

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@JKolodner THREE THOUSAND THANKYOUS! This is just what I needed to get me started!!!

Userlevel 5
Badge

@Davefox You are most welcome :)  Please feel free to reach out with any additional questions. We are only a few steps further down the road but we are happy to share what we’ve learned.