Content Management

How to Create a Sequential Learner Experience in Docebo Learn (with Demo Video)

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
  • Docebian
  • 198 replies

Presenting a targeted version of Docebo Learn to different audiences can be extremely beneficial.

For example, you may want new hires to only see certain menus and learning plans so that they can focus on their assigned work. After a new hire has completed their onboarding learning plan, you may want to grant them access to a different menu with content that’s more relevant for employees who are already onboarded.

In this guide, we’ll walk you through how to build a “sequential” experience for your learners in Docebo Learn using the above example.

Prerequisite Knowledge

Before diving in, we recommend thorough knowledge on the following topics:

Now let’s jump in...

Prerequisite Steps

We’ll assume that you’ve already completed the following steps in your platform:

• Created all pages (including the home pages) that will make up each group’s menu

• Created two menus with appropriate pages:

• New Hire Menu

• Onboarded Employee Menu

• Created a learning plan, course, or set of courses that all new hires must complete before transitioning to the onboarded employee experience.

Creating Your Groups

We first need to create two groups that we’ll use to set the visibility of our menus:

• New Hire Onboarding automatic group – sorted by User Additional Field conditions

• Onboarded Employee automatic group – sorted by Enrollment Status Based conditions

1. Create the New Hire Onboarding Group - where users will land when they are first hired

• Navigate to Admin Menu > Groups

• Select + New Group in the top right

• Select New Set under Manage Conditions in the Eligibility section of the group 

• Select User additional fields based conditions

• Select your Date User Additional Field (Start Date)

• Select is after for the Operator

• Select your desired Date

• Select Create

• Select Save Changes

Please note: in this example, we’ll be creating an automatic group but it is not a requirement. We’ll be using a date additional field that we’ve titled “Start Date” targeting all new hires with a start date after a certain date. 

0unnG6PiJRFx-WnkZe5f9ar9pW4qZD7jCRYUV35fyGbPePcUXo2rnKFsu2lpEku-FpW0g44XYwRAMT1zRdmfFZpnuIce1187Pof88t9W5Iy0IoTgoQWQwshobKIiZ9gc56Tr_hBh

1. Create an Enrollment Rule that will enroll any users in the New Hire Onboarding Group into their initial learning plan (or courses). For additional details, check out the KB article on Enrollment Rules.

2. Create the Onboarded Employee Group 

• Repeat the steps from Step 1, utilizing Start Date” as ourUser additional field condition” but select Before instead of Afteras the operator

• Use the same date as our New Hire Onboarding Group

• Add an additional Enrollment Status Based Condition” 

• Target the last course in your onboarding learning plan or the course(s) required for all new hires

• Select Completed for Enrollment Status for all courses and learning plans

Assigning Menus to Groups

With both groups created, it’s time to assign visibility to the New Hire and Onboarded Employee menus. 

1. Navigate to Admin Menu > Manage Menus

2. Select the New Hire menu

3. Expand the Visibility section of the Menu Settings

4. Type or Select the New Hire group

5. Ensure your Menu is Published

6. Select Save Changes

7. Repeat these steps for your Onboarded Employee menu, selecting the Onboarded Employee group in the final step

Organizing Your Menus Appropriately

Remember - The order of the Menus on the Manage Menus page determines which menu will display for a learner who meets the criteria for multiple menus. By default, the first menu that a user is eligible to see in the menu hierarchy will be the menu that displays for that user. 

Navigate to Admin Menu > Manage Menus ensure that the New Hire Onboarding Menu is lower in the list of your Menus than the Onboarded Employee Menu. 

J8OD4vwveNiDTkW9nrlhz2ZFrxoJgWSMj9_cpebBSFiTCY9wxBBi1Mq8bkrfcVxipzBUtXoZ3wXyBMT0sNbwvs7D_ZX9hrs_xm2MvSETjZCU_6rcjF2S3vsJbFVWQPCdjpeGwy8Z

Phew! Let’s take a second to recap what we’ve accomplished together:

1. We’ve built a New Hire Onboarding group that adds users by the Start Date additional field. We’ve built an Onboarded Employee group that adds all existing and onboarded employees

2. We’ve assigned menus to each group that show relevant pages

3. We’ve organized the order of our menus to ensure that the correct menus display for our learners at all times.

Additional Considerations:

• If users need to complete more than one course to complete their onboarding (regardless of whether or not these courses are in a learning plan), the best practice is to add all of the courses as individual Enrollment Status Based Conditions and ensure that the logic for the conditions is set to All Conditions Must Be Satisfied. Each condition set can contain up to 10 conditions, and each automatic group can contain up to 50 condition sets, so you may need to use multiple condition sets if you require learners to complete more than 10 courses.

• Users may need to log out and log back into the platform or clear their cache in order to see the updated experience after completing all criteria to be added to a new group. We recommend sending learners a notification upon completion of their required courses or learning plans that informs them their experience will be changing in the platform that includes instructions on how to navigate the new experience. 

Demonstration of the Experience

Share Your Experience!

We’d love to hear about your experience with this process or similar process. Please share below ⬇️⬇️

15 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Love this! Do you have a video that can demonstrate the experience? I would like to share this with my stakeholders, but it is rather difficult to explain without a visual. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Jessica Overby I’ve created a demo and added it to the guide. I hope it’s helpful!

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hi @Jessica Overby I’ve created a demo and added it to the guide. I hope it’s helpful!

THANK YOU!

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

We have multiple onboarding learning plans based on location/job type. Is it possible to create one onboarding page, but require the completion of the applicable learning plan for completion? Or, would I need to create a separate page for each learning plan?

Will this work for rehires? 

What if an employee is promoted and is therefore enrolled in one of the applicable learning plans? (i.e. becomes a manager)

What if the employee has an additional Compliance Learning Plan that is also due? Could I assign and require they complete both to see the full view of the system? What is best-practice?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Jessica Overby a lot of that depends on how you’re tracking that information and what fields you’re using. 

Question 1: 

We have multiple onboarding learning plans based on location/job type. Is it possible to create one onboarding page, but require the completion of the applicable learning plan for completion? Or, would I need to create a separate page for each learning plan?

Answer: It would all depend on the page. You could just use a “My Courses and Learning Plans” widget that would display the learning plan they’re required to take. Then you would have to add the last course as a rule in the completion group that would trigger the new menu. 

Question 2: 

Will this work for rehires? 

Answer: It could  but it might require having some automation that resets the user to a default state in whatever course you’re using to trigger. Some people have used an field value in their HRS that indicates rehire and then puts them in a “rehire group”. They then used a webhook to send to an external system and filters for the completion of that specific course. After the user is complete and the completion data is received from the LMS they then update that field value in their HRS to no longer be a “rehire” at which point the user is then removed from the group and presented with the other menu options that would be applicable. 

Question 3: 

What if the employee has an additional Compliance Learning Plan that is also due? Could I assign and require they complete both to see the full view of the system? What is best-practice?

You could just require that both courses that terminate the LP be required for the user to be sorted into the new group. Depending on your configurations and needs it might require creating a separate group/menu to accommodate. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@pmo - this is extremely well written up.

Thank you for the dive.

@pmo: Very interesting approach! I like this idea!

There’s, however, one thing which is not clear to me: Where do you get the date in the User Additional Field from? Does the learner have to input it? If so, how do you make him fill it in?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Uwe Sprengart With the clients I’ve previously worked with this field was usually autopopulated by an HR system and part of the process of creating the user. 

One client I worked with used this for a franchising option where the users went through 4 weeks of training and were required to complete a learning plan every week. In that situation a date field wasn’t required as each “sequence”/rule was determined by the completion of the last course in the LP.

The date in this example is really only a common use case where customers need to sort users into some sort of “new hire” group. You could manually add them there or structure your menus where your new user menu is at the bottom of the list and after they complete they initial learning plan just get added to the new group and thus the new experience. This would avoid the need for a date at all.

“The devil is always in the details”

Let me know if you have a particular usecase and I’d be happy to follow up with some thoughts or suggestions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

This just moved to the top of my bookmark list, awesome job @pmo !

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks @Bfarkas !

Userlevel 5
Badge

So when users have completed their onboarding, how do you redirect them to the regular user’s dashboard? At the moment our users end up with an ugly 403 as they are no longer part of the group that can see the onboarding dashboard, but all the links, including clicking on the logo, still tries to send them there. If they navigate to the root domain manually, of course it correctly displays the regular user’s dashboard, so it’s not permissions, just the mechanics of getting them there. As they can’t see the onboarding dashboard, there’s no point in putting a link there.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

So when users have completed their onboarding, how do you redirect them to the regular user’s dashboard? At the moment our users end up with an ugly 403 as they are no longer part of the group that can see the onboarding dashboard, but all the links, including clicking on the logo, still tries to send them there. If they navigate to the root domain manually, of course it correctly displays the regular user’s dashboard, so it’s not permissions, just the mechanics of getting them there. As they can’t see the onboarding dashboard, there’s no point in putting a link there.

This strategy works best if you have the user begin in the onboarding experience and move to the “regular” experience. So the last course in their onboarding will trigger their addition to a group that provides them with the “regular” user experience. .

Let me know if that makes sense.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Yep, that’s how I have it set up. When they finish the last course, they’re added to the “regular” group, which has access to the “regular” dashboard. However when they are finishing that course, all of the links back to their dashboard are pointing to the onboarding one, because when they loaded that page, that’s the dashboard they would have access to. But by the end of doing the course, they no longer do, so they get 403’s.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Maz “All of the links back to their dashboard” what are these links? Are you referring to the home page button in the top left corner? 

If so, then it sounds like the issue might be that their browser has cached the existing experience (which is mentioned in the original post as a potential problem). The solution is that you’ll want to keep the menu assigned to everyone in the system so that they’ll still have access to those links in the time period between logging out and logging back in (which should trigger an appropriate refresh and all dashboard links will link back to the correct home page).

Userlevel 5
Badge

Thank you. It is both the links from the logo top right, and the breadcrumbs. You’ve given me enough info that I think I can see a way around.