Skip to main content
Best Answer

HTML Training Material: Blocking Download

Hello, there!

I’m attempting to use HTML as a means of embedding a video from our DAM. Problem is, it allows downloads! Being relatively new to HTML in general, I’ve looked up the correct code necessary to block, which includes the following:

controlList=”nodownload”

Now, this sounds like it would be a simple thing to just go to the Source or under the Embed option while entering in the video and edit in that code. However, whenever I save it...it deletes the code. And as such, it won’t allow me to block the download using HTML. Now, am I missing something here, or is this just something the UI is overwriting whenever I save?

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Matthew.Shumway.

Typical to learning systems and content management systems, they will strip tags that they do not recognize. It sounds like that is happening to you.

You may want to try a few things:

• in the settings, you can establish safe domains - that could help with not blocking a site all together.
  • you may want to serve your page somewhere else and attempt to iframe/embed into Docebo.

You can learn a little more about the iFrame approach here:

Creating an HTML Page as Training Material – Docebo Help & Support

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

So I’m currently iFraming it, as it just gave a better viewing option than what I had previously, but it appears to still allow Download of the material either way. I could be wrong as I am new to embedding just about anything, but I’m assuming this might be due to the origin of the video in question? A setting on their side that controls if it can be downloaded?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

It can feel like a bit of playing with the URL to get to the right mix - that has been my experience. That is why I suggested bypassing the noise and create a simple HTML page that you can serve potentially from somewhere that you control better and you know it wont strip tags. In that way? You iFrame to your page not theirs - and you can get your parameter back.