Question

Polls in notifications

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Has anyone tried to embed a poll in a html email notification. I don’t just mean a link to a poll but an actual poll embedded. I want to make the poll as easy to answer as it’s for people who are not engaging with Docebo as much as others. 

Anyone got any ideas of how to do this?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Lucy.blake - good afternoon. So you hit a topic that can be very sensitive to your IT folk. I hate to deflect, but start there…because they may limit what is a best practice at your organization with HTML functionality and email (these things have stopped 99% of our functions before getting there).

If they clear it? You will probably hear some further push back on the technical end...I work with Jotform and embed it into courses all the time….even they come back with this as advice:

“Given the sporadic support for forms in emails, we recommend linking to a form on a website rather than embedding it in the email. This is the safest, most reliable solution to pairing an email message with a form. More people will see it and be able to use it, and as a result participation will increase

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

On that note - they included the detail of how to make it work here:

https://www.jotform.com/answers/2286698-can-i-embed-a-form-directly-in-an-email

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Tagging onto @dklinger but the other issue to be aware of when sending by email, is that you need to support quite a range of mail clients and programs that are not nearly as advanced in their abilities to handle more advanced html/css things (its why so many emails are still laid out using tables, the web left that behind a few decades ago). Most of the services that do this well that I have seen, don’t embed the entire form, but instead basically make it look like the first question is embedded in the email, and when they select the answer it redirects them to the second question in the survey in their browser. You will save your support and users a lot of headaches not having it completely embedded.

This kind of falls into the ol’ bucket of, technically its possible, but it shouldn’t be done.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Thanks @Bfarkas and @dklinger, I thought that might be the case. I’ve put in a picture of the form and when you click on it it takes you to the form on the web. I was hoping there was a way to do it. Luckily we only have one email client as it’s an internal email and everyone uses Outlook.