Question

Can I GET Time data for eLearning and ILT via API?

• 9 April 2024
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hello, team,

Context: I am our LMS admin; I am familiar with reading APIs, but I have not written. I have internal experts for the API writing, but they’re not experts in Docebo. Trying to find the info needed through (hopefully) one of you experts who is both knowledgeable in the API and Docebo.

We have new reporting requirements that indicate we must know how much time our employees have spent in training. For Docebo’s sake, that time is measured in two places: time spent in an eLearning course and time spent in an ILT session.

• Time spent in an eLearning course is fairly easy. I know that this data is not accurate, as users can leave their instance running in the background to rack up time, but it’s the only value I have and can use.
    • We found this endpoint: GET/learn/v1/enrollments/{id_course}/{id_user}
    • It returns the value we need, but does anyone have any other suggestions?
  • Time spent in an ILT seems to be nonexistent. Docebo Support said as much. If an ILT session is scheduled for 2 hours, and I mark a user attended for 0, 1, or 2 hours, I want to get the value they’re marked for. Is this possible?
    • My back-up plan is to use a course additional field to mark Total Time Possible (example: 2 hours) and then if a user is marked Complete, create a table that would give that user 2 hours.
    • Again, not an accurate solution, but still a consistent solution.

Thanks for any guidance!

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge

I’m not an API expert, but the value you’re asking for with the ILT session for getting the number of hours a user is marked as attending is possible:

From the Course Services - Returns the attendance of a given event: GET/course/v1/events/{event_id}/attendance

You’ll have to have the Event IDs, which you can get from the Course Management area reports.

• Select Titles from Course Management
  • Select Choose Action → Export Courses Data
  • CSV with a comma separator and column headers
  • Select the Sessions Data option and Include Event Details.  Event ID is one of the details on the report that is generated.