Can only get course data sent to an API if it is in an iFrame widget. Can I get a course code sent through an external page?

• 21 December 2022
  • 7 replies

Hey All

So I have a little pickle I have been trying to figure out. We are implementing an external assessment platform and I have been able to get the platform to launch in an iframe widget, HTML Learning object, and an external page. Though each of these solutions has had an issue.

The iframe widget connects automatically every time a learner clicks on a new learning object, leaving a lot of untaken assessments on the backend. Though this method does send all information I require through the API.

The HTML learning object does not send any information to the assessment platform at all, every field comes out blank.

Finally, I tried doing an external page (both iframe and new window), and I was able to get information, and the assessment to load, only problem is there is no course code being sent to the platform to trigger the correct assessment. Have any of you been able to get the full course code, user name, and user id from an API anywhere other than a widget? Or is there any way to hold off an external content widget from loading when the course loads? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Can you run any script on the external page that loads? I typically do this work through the iframe setup, but if you can do a script you can use the referral link which should have the docebo course ID in it, not the code, but still a unique identifier that could be used. Only way I could think of to delay an iframe load would again be on the other platform side, have it have a temp or waiting page before it does the full load.

Can you run any script on the external page that loads? I typically do this work through the iframe setup, but if you can do a script you can use the referral link which should have the docebo course ID in it, not the code, but still a unique identifier that could be used. Only way I could think of to delay an iframe load would again be on the other platform side, have it have a temp or waiting page before it does the full load.

I am using the pages feature in Docebo to create an external page link (since it can send authorization), but I don’t see a way for me to do any sort of change to the code, it just lets me put in a link and decide which OAUTH I want to use. Do you know if there is a way to run a script on a page? Maybe through a widget?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I am using the pages feature in Docebo to create an external page link (since it can send authorization), but I don’t see a way for me to do any sort of change to the code, it just lets me put in a link and decide which OAUTH I want to use. Do you know if there is a way to run a script on a page? Maybe through a widget?

If you’re using external page though there’s no spot to add a widget?

Heres a question, is the relationship of external page to course a 1:1 relationship? If so you could simply hardcode a URL variable to the end of the url you put into the external page to just have the course code in it. i.e. www.example.com?cc=course_code

I am using the pages feature in Docebo to create an external page link (since it can send authorization), but I don’t see a way for me to do any sort of change to the code, it just lets me put in a link and decide which OAUTH I want to use. Do you know if there is a way to run a script on a page? Maybe through a widge

If you’re using external page though there’s no spot to add a widget?

Heres a question, is the relationship of external page to course a 1:1 relationship? If so you could simply hardcode a URL variable to the end of the url you put into the external page to just have the course code in it. i.e. www.example.com?cc=course_code

Sorry for the late reply, I have been on holiday.

I don’t believe there is an option to put a widget on the external page. This is the options I have when creating an external page:

And when I open it and do a call I get all my information except a course ID. If I could just set a unique factor like you’re suggesting, I think I could just make a page for each assessment and then connect those factors to the assessment. Also having a course code would be useful because we would like to send back a score for course completion in the future. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Right, so you can just add a URL variable to the External Link Properties URL manually instead of relying on Docebo to add it which is what it is doing with the oauth client. Just add ?course_code=yourCourseCodeHere to the end of your URL (unless there’s already variables on there which point it would be a & and not a ?)

Right, so you can just add a URL variable to the External Link Properties URL manually instead of relying on Docebo to add it which is what it is doing with the oauth client. Just add ?course_code=yourCourseCodeHere to the end of your URL (unless there’s already variables on there which point it would be a & and not a ?)

Is there any documentation on how to do this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

its a standard internet thing, which is why they are so great and simple, you’re just adding a thing to be looked for on the receiving page. I just googled and came across this article that seeemd pretty solid for a primer:

A Guide to URL Parameters (semrush.com)