Best Answer

Failed a SCORM Course

• 9 June 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering how people are handling when a learner fails a SCORM course and how you notify the learner. (as I don’t think it is clear from a learner view as they stay ‘In Progress’.

We are playing about with the idea of changing the learner status from ‘in progress’ to ‘suspended’ but can’t see how we can send them a notification to advise they have failed.  Would like this to be automated - so changing status we can do this through the API, but can’t see the best way to notify learners.

Thanks 

Ant

icon

Best answer by Stephanie Dreiling 9 June 2021, 20:04

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @AntRich76, the simplest way would be to set up a notification Learner has yet to complete the course. It basically sends out reminders to your learners who are subscribed / in progress. You can send it out automatically or manually.

It is pretty much a standard. Is there any reason why you avoid using it? You could potentially set several reminders for same course or a reminder that is going out on a daily / weekly basis.

Unfortunately, I don’t see any easy alternatives… perhaps you could use API to set up something more complex.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi,

We do use that notification to remind learners at different points in time to complete the course - not sure setting up another notification using ‘learner has yet to complete the course’  would work as we would like to inform the learner they have failed and need to take action.

Thanks

Ant

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

What are you using to create your content? We have a standard that is known by staff they must receive an 80% or higher to pass a course, so our assessments at the end display the percentage letting the staff member know if they have successfully completed. 

Additionally, it’s taken us years to just get staff to understand the In Progress vs Complete icons. Which isn’t a great answer, but sometimes it is just time and education.

Userlevel 3

What are you using to create your content? We have a standard that is known by staff they must receive an 80% or higher to pass a course, so our assessments at the end display the percentage letting the staff member know if they have successfully completed. 

Additionally, it’s taken us years to just get staff to understand the In Progress vs Complete icons. Which isn’t a great answer, but sometimes it is just time and education.

We do this exactly the same way. In our course we have a results slide that displays passing and achieved score. We also indicate at the beginning of the assessment that in order to pass the course they must achieve 80% or higher. If they fail, it clearly communicates that on the results slide and gives the learner the option to review their answers or retake the test until they pass.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Folks - following up on this? I can see a recipe that is growing here.

But I would prefer to setup a test that will be pass/fail with a SCO. If not? I will deliver it with Docebo’s testing system.

If they fail I need some messaging to go to one office.

If they pass - the person will gain a certificate.

But a learner has not completed the course when a person has been subscribed to a course (by LP or the enrollment rules app) instead of fails seems to be problematic.

Curious if anyone has faced this further than this conversation.

(And part of why I love the community? I can essentially sense a recipe growing, but all of the pieces are not necessarily on the table.)