How did you handle the switch to the new course player?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hello everyone,

I'm curious to know how other admins who have switched to the new course player handled the switch. Did you roll out the update without any prior explanation, trusting that the new interface is intuitive enough for users to figure it out for themselves, or did you communicate the changes in advance to make the transition easier? If you did communicate in advance, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the best way to handle this. Thanks!

20 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Following this, I’m curious what people say. I’m going to have to roll this out for all our users next week and I’m prepping a memo to go in our company newsletter this Wednesday that’ll give everyone a heads up about the change. We have a series of ILTs happening soon and we’ll have a LOT of people getting in the LMS so we decided to give advance notice since the appearance of the ILT pages specifically is a lot different than before.

Userlevel 3

I want to subscribe to this, as we are also looking to roll this out in September. Interested in your feedback!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Daniel At this point, my plan has been

1. Update the CSS to make it more compliant with the rest of my platform branding
  2. Introduce the new player to my fellow super admins so they can test their own courses, etc.

When the super admins all agree that we’re ready to launch, I plan to communicate with key trainers/instructors who will be impacted the most by this. Otherwise, I doubt that we’ll communicate much to our user base.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@DanielAt this point, my plan has been

1. Update the CSS to make it more compliant with the rest of my platform branding
  2. Introduce the new player to my fellow super admins so they can test their own courses, etc.

When the super admins all agree that we’re ready to launch, I plan to communicate with key trainers/instructors who will be impacted the most by this. Otherwise, I doubt that we’ll communicate much to our user base.

@KMallette Thanks for the insight - that sounds like a great plan! Regarding not communicating much with your user base, is that because you think the new player is intuitive enough to be self-explanatory, or because the CSS updates you’ve made mean it won’t be such a big jump from the previous user experience?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@DanielAt this point, my plan has been

@KMallette Thanks for the insight - that sounds like a great plan! Regarding not communicating much with your user base, is that because you think the new player is intuitive enough to be self-explanatory, or because the CSS updates you’ve made mean it won’t be such a big jump from the previous user experience?

@Daniel Mostly because our users aren’t “returning users” … they get their initial training, and then may not need to come back for a year or more. Doubt they remember one way or the other 😁.  And also because I think it’s pretty self-explanatory.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Following as well!  I got some good insights from this post a while back too in case any info here will help you:

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@KMallette I see, that makes sense! Our user base is almost entirely repeat users, so the situation is a little different for us. I think what we might do is update our user guide to reflect the changes and then send it out in a newsletter a few weeks before we make the switch. That way, users will hopefully know what to expect and the changes won't be too disruptive for them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@Annarose.Peterson Thanks for the post - there are a lot of great observations in there! We also have the auto-tags hidden, so the link to the updated CSS is really helpful!

Userlevel 3

Hi.  We’re going to build a short video that will be highlighted on our home page introducing the new course player.  It’s pretty intuitive, but we thought by highlighting it, we’re letting our users know that there had been a change, and that we were aware of it.

Our global CSS, updated the new player and learning plan page accordingly, so it doesn’t look like we’ll have a lot of changes to make.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

If I’m honest I’ve been burying my head in the sand about this,  There’s lot about the new course player that I don’t like and I’ve been waiting to see if some of the suggestions/issues get acknowledged and updated.

I know I’m not alone in feeling a bit apprehensive about the pending change.  I just hope Docebo can see some of our posts and make the necessary changes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@KTJD Yes, it would be really helpful to know if Docebo plans to make any changes to the player before the mandatory roll out in October. We’re planning to update our user guide and send it out in a newsletter, but that’s difficult to do without clarity on whether there will be any changes before the switch.

Userlevel 1

@KTJD Yes, it would be really helpful to know if Docebo plans to make any changes to the player before the mandatory roll out in October. We’re planning to update our user guide and send it out in a newsletter, but that’s difficult to do without clarity on whether there will be any changes before the switch.

We are in the same boat. Submitting a brief blurb in our newsletter, but having difficulty with user guides and any other information.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

does anyone know there if we are 100% confirmed to upgrade to new player next month, and if any prior updates (based on feedback) will be made?

Karl

Userlevel 3

does anyone know there if we are 100% confirmed to upgrade to new player next month, and if any prior updates (based on feedback) will be made?

Karl

I asked the same question here and no one has replied to me!

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

pretty poor isn't it.  No update on all the feedback and no update on roll out.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Karl

In just the last week, I have FINALLY started getting some kind of response from the Docebo team on my feedback Idea posts for the new player, which are now months old. An example: New Course Player Feedback - Keep hero banner image visible on Course Player page, and give us a "light mode" for the course player | Community (docebo.com)

But the only concrete thing that’s been said is they will develop a light mode for the course player in a “future update”. I have not heard confirmation of the October rollout, certainly not a specific date. There are a LOT of issues and feedback still outstanding, I’ve been disappointed with their general lack of response lately in the Community to Ideas in general, and feedback on this new player specifically. I have turned it on for all my users, I haven’t gotten any specific complaints or feedback, positive or negative, so far. But that’s not a huge surprise given our particular user base.

I’ll be attending Docebo Inspire in person in a couple weeks, I’m hoping to get some “boots on the ground” info while I’m there.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

...but at least they are putting lots of effort into community post points and leaderboards 🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I have some good news 😃

I just heard from our CSM that the mandatory switch will be delayed until June 2024!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

If I’m honest I’ve been burying my head in the sand about this,  There’s lot about the new course player that I don’t like and I’ve been waiting to see if some of the suggestions/issues get acknowledged and updated.

I know I’m not alone in feeling a bit apprehensive about the pending change.  I just hope Docebo can see some of our posts and make the necessary changes.

What do you not like?

We are going with the switch from day 1 since we’re a new rollout.

We’re heavy into customization.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

What do you not like?

We are going with the switch from day 1 since we’re a new rollout.

We’re heavy into customization.

Many different reasons.  but one obvious one is that it doesn't look very good.  You have a huge banner at the top which wastes space, the course description is collapsed (why), it takes multiple clicks to get into learning when it should only take one, the colouring is all off, basic options like ‘unenrolling’ are not easy to find……

it feels half baked if I'm honest.