Question

How do you explain what the impact is if you replace content in a course or a learning plan?

• 15 June 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

We need our Course developers to understand what the impact is if we upload new content to a course and I am looking for ideas as to how to explain this to them. We need them to understand how changing a PDF to an elearning for example will effect the course and a learning plan in terms of course completions. Does anybody have any ideas for the best way to present this information?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @BWeschke, changing the training materials inside of a course, changes the “Progress” of users, who already completed the given training material. It doesn’t actually change the overall status of the course.

E.g. if I complete a course consisting of 10 videos and then someone changes one of the videos (reuploads it or whatever), my course will still remain completed but the course progress will be at 90%.

In this case, if I changed the training material, the Progress would change but not the Status

Also, changing one training material will not affect learning plans in any way but adding or removing courses from it will affect the completion %.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

HI @BWeschke when replacing content, I usually “hide” (under Settings on the learning object) the old content but leave it in place to preserve the completion data and then add the new content.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@lrnlab so how are you adding the new content, are you using the central repository or are you just adding the content as new to the course?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@BWeschke I don’t use the CLOR except for surveys since the content is tracked across any course where it is being used so that doesn't always meet the requirements. When updating content, I use the “hide” method I described above or it you are supplementing the content, I simply add it as per the usual process.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Wow, You mean that changes to content affect previous completions?!?  You cant version the course so that the changes only impact new enrollments???  

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Wow, You mean that changes to content affect previous completions?!?  You cant version the course so that the changes only impact new enrollments???  

@Jtischler not quite...however if you update content on CLOR, it applies to all courses where the content is being used. If you want to distinguish who completed the old version vs. the new version, the “hide” method works best (for us anyway)

Userlevel 2

Along the same lines, if I have an elearning course that consists solely of a single SCORM element (such as an Articulate Storyline course), and an enrolled user who is currently “in progress” in the Enrollment Report, does the user status revert to “not yet started” when I update the course?

• Use Case 1: I simply overwrite the SCORM with the new version
  • User Case 2: I hide version 1 of the SCORM, and add version 2.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@JasonQ it should not affect the users progress if you hide the old package and publish the new one however those that were in progress on the old version would not be allowed to continue and would need to launch the new package. In your use case #1, this would wipe out the user progress as it is attached to object itself. Neither is the be-all solution as it depends on the content and how you want to track it...sometimes, you don't care about the old content and you only want all users to complete the most recent package...