How do you handle users that have been added to the system but have never logged in?

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

I am wondering what process people have in place to try to get users that you’ve added to the platform but have never logged in to actually log in. I just spent a good bit of time playing around with the “User never logged in” notification only to find out that it doesn’t really work. It will actually repeatedly keep sending the notification everyday until the user logs in. Of course, what I really wish it would do is send a one time email notification that goes out 5 days after a new user has been created but hasn’t logged in. Super awesome would be able to set up different emails like a series of 3, each one with varying text using different language to entice the user to log in. So one that goes 5 days out, one that goes 10 days out, and then maybe 15 days out. There are suggestions in the ideas portal so go vote if you’d like to at least have this email notification be a one and done thing. 

So now I am going to have to think of a more manual process. Unfortunately there’s no way that I can see on how to group these “never logged in” users which if possible, I could at least use the newsletter function.

I’d be interested in hearing what processes others are using. Thanks so much.

12 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi Cindy,

I had exactly the same experience of these notifications and a few others that didn’t seem to do what I actually needed, the descriptions can be very misleading.  We’ve switched a lot of them back off again and are using more traditional comms routes (as you have) to follow up with non-logged in users instead.

We’ve been campaigning with our rep and the product owner to get more digest notifications set up as the one action > one email system is very old hat and not really fit for purpose.  There are also some more changes coming later in the year that could help with notifications, we’re waiting to see if they’ll help our use case.

It may be useful for you to also look at the reasons that they have to log in, is there a way that you can leverage help from managers in holding their people accountable to mandatory training or learning that would be of interest.  We’ve found the WIIFM (what’s in it for me) approach is the best angle to take with these comms.

Joanna

Userlevel 4
Badge

:wave_tone2:@natemadel thought you might be interested in this feedback around notifications and their descriptions within the UX. And you may be able to share some of your experience helping customers with their adoption/notification strategy.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi Cindy,

I had exactly the same experience of these notifications and a few others that didn’t seem to do what I actually needed, the descriptions can be very misleading.  We’ve switched a lot of them back off again and are using more traditional comms routes (as you have) to follow up with non-logged in users instead.

We’ve been campaigning with our rep and the product owner to get more digest notifications set up as the one action > one email system is very old hat and not really fit for purpose.  There are also some more changes coming later in the year that could help with notifications, we’re waiting to see if they’ll help our use case.

It may be useful for you to also look at the reasons that they have to log in, is there a way that you can leverage help from managers in holding their people accountable to mandatory training or learning that would be of interest.  We’ve found the WIIFM (what’s in it for me) approach is the best angle to take with these comms.

Joanna

@joanna.lay Thanks! Yes indeed. Same experience here with several notifications that don’t work as “expected.” When setting up a notification, between the user (user, PU, Superadmin) as well as the event, it gets confusing as to what the actual end result is going to be. 

So we’ll continue to handle these manually through other comm channels. Our users are external to our org--they are partner organizations who have purchased a “subscription” to our content. The end-users at these partner orgs are not always motivated and it’s been hard to get at the WIIFM. It’s an ongoing challenge to get them engaged. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi Cindy! 

And thanks @ryan.s for the mention. 

So, if you’re looking to group these users together and perhaps leverage the newsletter, here is a process you could do to group them fairly painlessly ;)

• Create a User Additional Field Called “Never Logged In”
  • Visit the User Management Page
  • Click “Select All” (this will select the first page)
  • Click “Select All” which appears at the bottom (this will select all users)
  • Click “Choose an Action”
  • Click “Export” > “Export as CSV”
  • Include Username and Last Access Date then Export
  • Filter your file to those with no last access date
  • Populate a column in the csv with “Yes” for all these users
  • Import the csv and populate the “Yes” value for the “Never Logged in Field”
  • Create a group that pulls in users if “Never Logged in” = “Yes”
  • Use that group to send the newsletter

You could do this perhaps monthly and delete the field/group when not in use, the process should take about 10-20 minutes. 

In general though, I think you’ll find distributing promotional videos to your audience through other channels have a higher likelihood of gaining adoption in your system. I’ve seen some great promo videos that customers have put out, have fun with these! Personally, I’d be more likely to interact with a system if my peers made a fun video promoting a product than if I received an email from said product. Just my $.02!

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hey @natemadel Thanks for the idea on grouping them and using the Newsletter feature. I also like the idea of promotional videos. Our end users are teachers and of course a big issue for them is time. We are also not front and center in their minds. So their school gets the subscription and the teachers get invited to the platform and they basically forget we’re here with content that they can use in the classroom so we need to remind them and hopefully engage them in a way that keeps them coming back. It’s a work in progress! Thanks again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

just adding a bi to this thread...we haven't really bothered doing anything with these users since we are not charged for any profiles that haven't accessed the site. That said, I like the idea of creating an automated group if and when you need to manage these types of scenarios. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi,

We invite the team to log in during the onboarding in order to ensure that most of them have accessed the platform. We also send a weekly reminder to HR with the compliance training completion we have ensured that 90% of the team have completed their course.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I know we would like to know as well as users added to the platform but have not accessed a course. I would think this could also be added not only to Reports section but also could be added to the Audit Trail section in Docebo.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@Swatson and any others that need this feature, please vote on one of the suggestions in the ideas portal and chime in as necessary with comments as to your use case. Hopefully at some point Product Management will combine these suggestions into one so it will accurately reflect the total votes. 

• DL-I-1962 
  • LMS-I-2854

Thanks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks Cindy McElhinney,

I have voted.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

+1 Vote from me!

Userlevel 3
Badge

Just curious … has anyone heard any news on this front (or figured out an elegant solution / workaround)?

We’re about to embark on attempt to write a Connect recipe to trigger a notification based elapsed time since ‘Last Access Date’ but it does seem like over-engineering for something which should be quite simple. Per the original post by @cindy.mcelhinney the current notifications seem to be configured ‘backwards’ such that they spam users indefinitely UNTIL they log in.