Google Analytics 4

• 17 February 2023
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 2

In October 2022, Google announced that Universal Analytics will be going away, and that Google Analytics 4 is the new solution replacing Universal Analytics. 

Docebo’s Product team is working on this new integration to enable you to integrate with Google's new Google Analytics 4 solution, and this integration app will be available for you April 12th, 2023

No customer will be immediately affected by the launch of Docebo’s Google Analytics 4 app in April, as you can continue to use and collect new data in your Universal Analytics properties until July 1, 2023. Customers using the current Universal Analytics Docebo integration will still be able to access their previously processed data in their Universal Analytics property for at least six months (Google has yet to provide an official deprecation date of Universal Analytics).

When Docebo’s new Google Analytics 4 app is available in April 2023, it will be a separate app from the existing Universal Analytics app. We’ll allow you to activate both the Google Analytics 4 app and the Universal Analytics app at the same time so that you can compare the results in each.

The GA4 app will technically work in the same way as the previous GA integration, with the same Docebo events being tracked in each. With that said, Google Analytics 4 will behave differently than Universal Analytics, so to fully understand the differences between these solutions, we suggest you read this guide published by Google: Comparing metrics: Google Analytics 4 vs Universal Analytics.

Thank you for your patience as we develop this new integration. We’ve relied heavily on information from Google about what the transition from Universal Analytics to GA4 will mean for our customers, which as many of you have likely experienced, has not been made readily available.

As always, please share any follow-up questions with us in the comments below. 

Thank you!

💡 If you’re interested in checking out the existing Planned idea, click here.

10 replies

Can we add Event for click tracking on Docebo?

Userlevel 6

The email this was sent in had Docebo Connect in the subject line - will GA4 support be locked only for those who have Docebo Connect?

Userlevel 3

Can we add Event for click tracking on Docebo?

Hi @sutanu at the moment the goal is to migrate the current events to GA4 only.

If you have a request to add more functionalities, I would suggest opening an idea or vote an existing one.

Thanks for the cooperation!

Userlevel 3

The email this was sent in had Docebo Connect in the subject line - will GA4 support be locked only for those who have Docebo Connect?

Hi @JZenker GA4 will be available as a native integration for any Docebo Learn customer.

It is not required to have Docebo Connect.

Thanks!

Userlevel 6

Hi @JZenker GA4 will be available as a native integration for any Docebo Learn customer.

It is not required to have Docebo Connect.

Thanks!

Great, thanks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Will we need to reconfigure the Google Analytics 4 app if we already have the Google Analytics app set up? We’re trying to determine whether we need technical support.

Userlevel 3

@Jessica Tart even though the activity is quite easy and fast, technical support is required.

Google Analytics 4 in Docebo is a new app and it will work with Google Analytics 4 only.

You need to configure in Docebo the new GA4 app with the snippet coming from Google Analytics 4.

Userlevel 5
Badge

I had GA4 tracking code added to the old GA app in Docebo since the GA4 app wasn’t available. It tracked activity, but it was way lower than the UA analytics in GA, which was also still tracking.

I immediately noticed that the GA4 data is much more inline with the GA data when I cut the GA4 tracking code from the old app and added it to the new GA4 app.

One thing I noticed is that our tracking/referral codes no longer seem to work with GA4. E.g. we add tracking hashtags to assets and pages in our newsletter and other intranet sites to track where people are clicking from. This no longer works with GA4 from my testing and did work with GA.

https://lmsname.com/share/asset/view/1586#newsletter-may2023
or
https://lmsname.com/pages/88/home#newsletter-may2023

I tried UTM tracking codes with GA4 and it doesn’t work for us. Not sure if the SSO is causing an issue with that. Someone in the community was saying the same thing and users would need to be authenticated first for it to track the link, which isn’t useful.

Anyone have suggestions for tracking clicks from external sources with GA4?

Userlevel 1

Has anyone been able to find an answer for the question asked by Martin Iwinski? I am also trying to implement GA4 in our new Docebo learn environment and would like more information.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@martiniwinski and @Almix2 we have been told by our IT team that the reason that the UTM codes no longer work in GA4 is due to the extra security Google have added. If you look at your referrals you will probably see all the referrals seem to come from one source (in our case Microsoft). We have SSO and we’re finding all the referral codes are being stripped. Docebo need to come up with a way to work with Google as the reason they are being stripped is because Google don’t trust certain third party applications.